Child Support Question

P

pleverenz

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
I have been divorced for almost 13 years. I only received child support for the first 1 1/2 years when my daughter was 3. Since then, my x has paid half of expenses of our daughter, not child support. The problem is that his mom pays for the expenses, he doesn't. Our daughter is in dance and his mom pays 1/2 of all those expenses. I might get $100-$300 per month tops. He is an alcoholic abusive selfish person that spends money in the bars more than any where else. He lives in a $230,000 home, has a snowmobile, all that his mom and grandpa (he inherited a lot of money) have given him money for. My x is in school full time, no job. He is supposed to graduate in December, but I am not holding my breath.
Our daughter is with me 24/7 and has been since 2014. She never goes by her dad, she is with me full time. I have primary placement/physical custody. My x has been in trouble with the law multiple times including 4 DUI's.
My question is, if I were to take him back to court for child support, how far back would they go and would it open a can of worms or would it be worth my time?

Do you currently have a court order in place but he isn't paying it because of no job? If so, then
going back to court wouldn't change anything.

My question is, if I were to take him back to court for child support, how far back would they go and would it open a can of worms or would it be worth my time?

Either parent is always free to hire a lawyer and pursue a legal remedy.

Or, you can do it yourself, pro se.

Good luck.

I have been divorced for almost 13 years. I only received child support for the first 1 1/2 years when my daughter was 3. Since then, my x has paid half of expenses of our daughter, not child support. The problem is that his mom pays for the expenses, he doesn't. Our daughter is in dance and his mom pays 1/2 of all those expenses. I might get $100-$300 per month tops. He is an alcoholic abusive selfish person that spends money in the bars more than any where else. He lives in a $230,000 home, has a snowmobile, all that his mom and grandpa (he inherited a lot of money) have given him money for. My x is in school full time, no job. He is supposed to graduate in December, but I am not holding my breath.
Our daughter is with me 24/7 and has been since 2014. She never goes by her dad, she is with me full time. I have primary placement/physical custody. My x has been in trouble with the law multiple times including 4 DUI's.

Be glad you get anything at all. It honestly doesn't matter who pays it as long as you get it.

You can take him to court for contempt of child support. He'll get notified of court. If he doesn't show up, he gets a warrant. If he does show up he has to explain to the judge how he will catch up (does he have a court order for child support?).

Even if the judge orders him to or if he spends time in jail you still might not see the child support. It depends on how much you're willing to spend on this.

I wish I got anything between support and half of daycare and unreimbursed medical.

Back