child support question

Status
Not open for further replies.

murflett

My son turns 18 in a week, and I pay support for 2 kids. Now my question is do I have to go and get my support amended? I do owe some arrears, and am not contesting that, but will I be able to get it lowered a little. I currently pay 564 a month in Tennessee, but support goes to Kansas. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you'll have to go to court to get the support order modified to reflect the aging out of your son; it doesn't happen automatically.

You'll still be paying off the arrears.

It really depends on how your child support order was written. If the child support was bundled together then you will have to get a new order, that won't be hard. If it was on a per child basis and mentioned that it ends when they turn 18 then the order will stand. It really depends on how sharp the attorney was that did the proposed Order.

It really depends on how your child support order was written. If the child support was bundled together then you will have to get a new order, that won't be hard. If it was on a per child basis and mentioned that it ends when they turn 18 then the order will stand. It really depends on how sharp the attorney was that did the proposed Order.

Either way, OP still needs the court's help to stop child support.

It's not going to happen automagically regardless of how the original order is written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back