Child support modification

Anonymous1010

Jurisdiction
Iowa
When child support was initiated, father didn't respond when served so they based child support off of his tax returns. He just got a modification due to earnings dropping by more than 50%. If I file a request to review for a modification after I believe he is back to earning more for a few months and he again doesn't respond with payslips, would child support services just use his tax returns again? This wouldn't reflect his last few months' new earnings. If so, if I took a personal action with the courts to review for modification rather than going through child support services, would they also use tax returns if he didn't respond or demand he provide payslips? It seems I would have to wait until he has been earning more for at least a year in order to have child support reflect his new earnings if they would be based off tax returns.

If I file a request to review for a modification after I believe he is back to earning more for a few months and he again doesn't respond with payslips, would child support services just use his tax returns again?

Dummies on the internet, of which I'm one, can't determine what an Iowa state agency will or won't do.

I suggest you ask the state agency directly ALL of your questions. You're one of their clients. The agency exists to help their clients.

if I took a personal action with the courts to review for modification rather than going through child support services, would they also use tax returns if he didn't respond or demand he provide payslips?

I suggest you ask the agency.

I'm just another citizen with no connection to the agency.

It seems I would have to wait until he has been earning more for at least a year in order to have child support reflect his new earnings if they would be based off tax returns.

The agency might know, ask the agency.

When child support was initiated

When was that?

He just got a modification

When?

If I file a request to review for a modification after I believe he is back to earning more for a few months and he again doesn't respond with payslips, would child support services just use his tax returns again?

"Child support" are the payments you receive. I assume you're referring to some sort of governmental agency. If so, I'd suggest calling someone at that agency and asking (although they might not be receptive to hypothetical questions). FYI, no one who posts here regularly is in Iowa.

My assumption is that, if you seek a modification, the burden will be on you to provide evidence that a modification is in order. If he doesn't respond to discovery requests, then you might need to serve a subpoena on his employer.

When child support was initiated, father didn't respond when served so they based child support off of his tax returns. He just got a modification due to earnings dropping by more than 50%. If I file a request to review for a modification after I believe he is back to earning more for a few months and he again doesn't respond with payslips, would child support services just use his tax returns again? This wouldn't reflect his last few months' new earnings. If so, if I took a personal action with the courts to review for modification rather than going through child support services, would they also use tax returns if he didn't respond or demand he provide payslips? It seems I would have to wait until he has been earning more for at least a year in order to have child support reflect his new earnings if they would be based off tax returns.

Do you have proof he's making more or you just have a "belief?" You have to have proof he's earning more to try to request an increase. Did you talk to child support enforcement/services in Iowa?

Back