Child Support Modification Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

zie4

Child Support Modification Request

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? TX

Whether gainfully employed or not, I've always paid my child support and never missed a beat, as it should be.

While pursuing my education full-time, I got a great opportunity to intern with the government for a three year program and the pay has been decent. This program ends this year however, but my Ex has the AG bringing me to court for an increase.

I have no problem with the increase but my income with revert back to what it once was when the internship ends and I go to finish school. This is assuming the government doesn't make me an offer for permanent employment, which hasn't happened yet. Besides, I am not really interested in remaining in this line of work and would like to continue to pursue my education as I had originally planned.

Here are my questions:

1. How do I go about presenting the reality of my temporary/conditional employment status and avoid the increase?

Note: In all truth, I probably should be requesting a decrease but have determined to continue to pay what's been asked of me in the original court ordered divorce decree.

2. If the courts decide to ignore the changing status of my employment and grant the increase anyway, how do I present my expenses in a meaningful way for the courts to consider?

At present, the courts are said to consider my net (disposable) income (gross less taxes but not retirement or other expenses the IRS would qualify to my knowledge?), but I have other obvious expenses that need to be factored in, which TX law allows for: living expenses (mortgage) , transportation (car loan), supplies (food, etc.), visitation (expenses (airfare, rental, hotel, etc.) to visit my child for IL (resident under TX jurisdiction because Mom move my child there some years ago).

How do I make sure that these are also accounted for?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back