child support issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandikris

I live in TN and married my husband, Tood, almost 4 yrs ago. He has a 16 yr old son from a previous marriage which lives in Indiana with his ex-wife. She refused visitation but Todd did not hav the money for a lawyer to take her to court. She asked him to give up parental rights and let her new husband adopt the child but wanted Todd to PAY THEM 40,000 to help with adoption fees and college...he refused. In spite of not getting to see his son, he continued to pay child support until 5 yrs ago when he lost his job, moved to TN and was struggling to make ends meet. Although I KNOW it was not the right decision, he decided he was not going to pay child support anymore since she still refused visitation. After these 5 yrs. she has just now filed in court about the support. I was very careful these few years we have been together in making sure EVERYTHING I owned pre-marriage and assets we have bought together were solely in MY name. I am a teacher and own my own business. Our joint taxes for the past 3 yrs show absolutely no income attributed from him. I am very afraid of what may happen? Can they use MY income amount to base his child support amounts or anything? Can they touch any of MY assets? Will they arrest him and send him to Indiana since its presiding in Indiana courts and we live in TN? I could ammend my 2007 taxes and add on a 1099-MISC paying him a small amount for contract labor from my business. I have no clue what my best course of action is, and the lawyer he had before and has contacted again won't tell us ANYTHING without 1st sending him a $1,250.00 retainer. Could you please give me some advice because I am now having thoughts of divorce so that they can't touch me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back