child is in Arkansas DHS custody can grandparents adopt

S

smas

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
My son was taken into DHS custody at 3 months old after a brain bleed. I began doing everything required as soon as I had my first court date and got the requirements for reunification. Almost complete with my requirements 5 months in after DHS lost some of my parenting classes so I had to restart. Exactly 5 months into case me and child's father was arrested for battery. When released DHS stopped having any contact with me about my case or my child. My grandparents have been in the process of completing the requirements for him to be temporarily placed with them. Their home study and background check are complete and they are in the middle of the required classes. My rights will be terminated my next court date due to charges. My question is if child's father and I willingly sign rights over before court can my grandparents go ahead and file a petition for adoption and be able to adopt him before court. They adopted and raised my baby brother when he was 90 days old and is now 19.

My son was taken into DHS custody at 3 months old after a brain bleed. I began doing everything required as soon as I had my first court date and got the requirements for reunification. Almost complete with my requirements 5 months in after DHS lost some of my parenting classes so I had to restart. Exactly 5 months into case me and child's father was arrested for battery. When released DHS stopped having any contact with me about my case or my child. My grandparents have been in the process of completing the requirements for him to be temporarily placed with them. Their home study and background check are complete and they are in the middle of the required classes. My rights will be terminated my next court date due to charges. My question is if child's father and I willingly sign rights over before court can my grandparents go ahead and file a petition for adoption and be able to adopt him before court. They adopted and raised my baby brother when he was 90 days old and is now 19.

I suggest you speak with a lawyer before TRYING to relinquish your parental rights.

The fact that the child's father has been arrested for criminal matter related tot he child's injuries could also involve you at some point.

It is also NOT in your best legal interests to continue to be involved in the life of the child at this moment in time.

Again, you need REAL legal advice from a lawyer that practices in your state.

Good luck.

Back