cheating husband

Status
Not open for further replies.

musica

I have a friend who about 8 months ago found out her husband - of nearly 30 years - was cheating on her. He said he would stop the affair and they decided to stay together. She has since found out that he never stopped the affair and is gathering proof. I know that when people divorce they are each entitled to 50%, does this differ when one person commits adultery? She feels he is only hanging around so that he can get her money. Is there a alw against adultery? I have urged her to go and see a lawyer, however she keeps putting it off.

It depends on the state where the people file for divorce and where they live. Some states have a clear "community property" system, which basically leads to a 50-50 distribution of assets, others have slightly different systems, but also strive to come to an equitable 50-50 solution. In some states adultery is recognized as grounds for divorce, in some not, but even where recognized it might not have too much of an influence on the distribution of assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back