Cheap or Free?

Vincent

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello,

I have made some long posts. I will keep this one as short as I can.

I live in IL.
I am in Cook County.

I am on SSDI and Make less than $35K a year from SSDI and some small part time 1099 I.T. Work.

I have googled and searched but I could not found a phone number or an actual advice for what I am looking for. If it doesn't exist fine, but if it does exist please assist.

My current wife doesn't work. She is supposed to start a $10 an hour job next week as a cashier.

My question is being on SSDI, and in general being below a $35K per year for the household is there a legal center in Cook County or Du Page County (Next county over) that would provide free, or a reduced amount in legal fees/retainer so I could start the Divorce and Child custody process?

I cant afford a $5000 or more retainer, and $250 per hour or more to get Divorced and have child custody decided.

2nd question:

My lease for my apartment in over in about 5 months, I need to give notice to my landlord 60 days before the lease is up to let them know if I am going to renew or not.

My goal would be to move from this 3 bedroom apartment into a smaller size and cheaper apartment with my child.

The apartment is in the same town, and is walking distance to the school my child would attend, local library,local pharmacy, local park district and so forth.

It would be cheaper per month for the rent, and without needed a car to drive 5 times a week back and forth to school since the school would be in walking distance.

That would free up a lot of money to better care for my child. (I have family that can bring us get groceries and so forth, that would require a car)

At what point during the divorce process could I move with my child? Do I have the right at anytime or do I have wait until the divorce is complete?

As of now, I have a 3 bedroom. I am in one room, my child in their room, and current wife in the 3rd bedroom.

Thank you!

Why are you referring to your "current wife"?

So you're just assuming that you can take the child away without having any custody agreement in place?

Why are you referring to your "current wife"?

So you're just assuming that you can take the child away without having any custody agreement in place?

No I am asking how can I get to the point or what point do I need to be at to have my child move with me with all the details I listed above.

So I am asking what I need to do.

Do I have to go through an entire divorce proceeding to be able to move before my lease is up with my child?

I dont know what my options are.

If I get legally separated would that get me closer to moving out with my child or would that not make a difference.

She has already expressed she will leave when ever she want and get a roommate. If she does that or not, I am still stuck here for another year of a rental lease.

We are both on the lease, but the only thing the landlord care about is if one of the 2 of us are living here and rent is paid.

I dont want to be stuck for an entire year with any apartment that will cost me more than moving.

She as well has taken the only car in the house, that is both are names when ever she wants.

So I have to ask for rides or get an uber just to get my child to school safely while she is out partying.

So moving to a location that is cheaper each month, and my child's school is in walking distance, along with the other local area places I listed is a huge money saver on a fixed income.

Not having to pay for a 2nd car that is primary used to get my child back and forth to school is a huge difference in monthly cost that would only benefit my child's expenses and life.

So any help appreciated.

You may never get to move with your child if you are not awarded custody.

What you need to do is sit down and talk to your "current wife" and find out what she wants to do about the custody situation. You make it sound like she has no interest in the child and just wants to go out and party.

Then you need to speak to your landlord about what it would take to break your lease.

Back