Changing a minors last name

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstallard

My wife and I have a four year old daughter who has her mothers maiden name. We recently got married and need to see what is involved on getting our daughters name changed.

Thanks for your help.

It's easy, the procedures specific to your county are likely posted on your county's website. You'll fill out a petition, pay a filing fee and have a short hearing.

I want to change both of my daughter's last names

Hi my name is Sinthya Tapia and I live in NY. I was with my first daughter's father for about a month before I got pregnant. We didn't get married so his name didn't come out on her birth certificate, she just has his last name. My other daughter also has his last name, even tho it's not his daughter he decided to give i to her. It's been about 2.5yrs since the last time I saw him and I have no idea where he is now. He doesn't pay any child support or nothing, he just dissapeared. I have a boyfriend now and we've been together for 1.5yrs (5months living together). My daughters see him as they're father and we're planning to get married but to be honest, not any time soon. Is it possible to change my daughter's last name to his even tho we are not married? And while I'm at it, is it possible to put him as the father in both they're birth certificates?

If I were you, I'd wait at least five (or more) years before changing her name. Why? It is expensive and can be lengthy. Also, what if your relationship fails??

Thats a good point. So basically it would be easier and faster if I wait and if we got married? In that case, I think that would be best. Thank you very much for replying.

I didn't say easier or faster.
The father, although he isn't in her life, could object.
You haven't known this current guy too long.
I'd wait five (or more) years.

I'd at least until I'd been married for five years, before even considering changing her name. When you decide to do so, go forward. You'll discover changing a name to be an expensive and lengthy process.

In the end, does it matter more what her name is, or that she becomes an educated, well behaved person?

The name change means more to you. The child doesn't care. Your kids just wanna be loved and know they are safe!!!

Stop beating yourself up over what happened in the past.

Just be the best woman and mommy you can be going forward. You do that, and love your babies (not some lying, irresponsible man-thug), and all of you will have a great life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back