Change of visitation

S

StrongSparrow

Jurisdiction
Texas
2 and 1/2 years ago I moved my children to Texas (where my family lives) from Utah where their father lives. When we moved I signed a legal document (filed with court) my ex wrote up where I am responsible for all travel for the children to visit him several times a year including most holiday, spring break and the whole summer. He said if I didn't sign it he would keep the kids in Utah. I was forced to sign in fear of losing my kids. I am in terrible debt now because if this and can simply can't do it anymore. He has remarried and lives in a 6 bedroom home while we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment barely getting by. I want to renegotiate but he refuses. Paperwork says we must go to mediation but he's already threatening to file for a contempt of court because I can't afford to send them. I'm afraid I'll lose my nursing license if it comes to that. My kids are 13 and 15 and don't want to visit that often either so that is an additional issue. All I've asked him is to pay half of their travel expenses. Any help would be appreciated.

You need a lawyer, not a discussion site.
You're stuck with the agreement and subsequent order until you take the matter back to court.

I don't know why you would sign something you knew you wouldn't be able to afford to carry out. It is typical for the parent who moves away to be responsible for the cost of transportation for the kids and for custody/visitation to change so that the parent who stayed put gets the kids for longer breaks, since the typical every other weekend plan isn't feasible. Your options are to go back to court to see if a judge will amend the current order, realizing you are still going to be on the hook for the transportation costs since you caused them, stick it out until your kids are 18, or move back to reasonable commuting distance from your ex, at least until the kids are 18.

2 and 1/2 years ago I moved my children to Texas (where my family lives) from Utah where their father lives. When we moved I signed a legal document (filed with court) my ex wrote up where I am responsible for all travel for the children to visit him several times a year including most holiday, spring break and the whole summer. He said if I didn't sign it he would keep the kids in Utah. I was forced to sign in fear of losing my kids. I am in terrible debt now because if this and can simply can't do it anymore. He has remarried and lives in a 6 bedroom home while we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment barely getting by. I want to renegotiate but he refuses. Paperwork says we must go to mediation but he's already threatening to file for a contempt of court because I can't afford to send them. I'm afraid I'll lose my nursing license if it comes to that. My kids are 13 and 15 and don't want to visit that often either so that is an additional issue. All I've asked him is to pay half of their travel expenses. Any help would be appreciated.

Why would you sign that? Why would you let him bully you either? It doesn't really matter that he has a bigger house as long as your kids' basic needs are met.

You need to get a lawyer and go back to court. Let him file for contempt as long as you file for a change first.

It doesn't matter whether your kids want to visit their dad or not. They have no choice. Until their 18 they go see their dad when he exercises his visitation. And you make them go.

You're probably not going to get half of travel paid. As stated you caused the distance so you are going to have to pay for it. Or you move back to Utah or decrease the distance.

There is no way in hell I would sign anything that my ex wrote up either. Nor would I allow him to bully me when it comes to our kid.

Back