Car entitlement

• Thread Starter Cristina87Rodriguez
  • Start date
C

Cristina87Rodriguez

Jurisdiction
Texas
Not in the divorce process yet only seperated but was wondering about a vehicle. A vehicle was purchased for me after marriage but since I did not have a job at the time & my husband does not have a license my father-in-law had to sign with me saying it was a gift so we are both listed on the papers & the insurance is still in my name, (vehicle is still being paid for) I was the only driver since my husband was not allowed to drive it without a license, not even my father-in-law drove it since he did not like the vehicle but my husband refused to let me take it when I left even though I said I would keep making the payment as to not lose it & he has driven it since & continues to let someone else without a license drive it...my question is am I allowed to take it back before the divorce process even begins or do I have to wait?

Not in the divorce process yet only seperated but was wondering about a vehicle. A vehicle was purchased for me after marriage but since I did not have a job at the time & my husband does not have a license my father-in-law had to sign with me saying it was a gift so we are both listed on the papers & the insurance is still in my name, (vehicle is still being paid for) I was the only driver since my husband was not allowed to drive it without a license, not even my father-in-law drove it since he did not like the vehicle but my husband refused to let me take it when I left even though I said I would keep making the payment as to not lose it & he has driven it since & continues to let someone else without a license drive it...my question is am I allowed to take it back before the divorce process even begins or do I have to wait?

Sorry, Texas is a community property state.
Anything acquired DURING the marriage becomes the property EQUALLY of husband and wife.

You can bring the matter up during the divorce process.
But, whatever you've paid is simply the cost of being married.

So, if you ever marry again, make sure the other party can carries his or her weight equally with you.

You're still taking a chance, because the planet is filled with scammers, shysters, deadbeats, moochers, leeches, and bums.

Back