1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Car dealership service department. Blown engine

Discussion in 'Small Claims & Municipal Court' started by Stockyakny, Aug 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Stockyakny

Stockyakny Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New York
    Hello. I had an issue with my vehicle and brought it to the BMW dealership to have their service department investigate the issue. I had an engine timing fault and needed the manufacturer to diagnose it. I told them the problem it was having and they proceeded to run the testing. About 4 hours into the testing process, one of the service technicians walked out and informed me that they were running an engine stress test and the engine in the vehicle blew up during the testing. They told me there was nothing I can do, but buy a new engine and they would not cover any of the cost. I now have to pay $16,000 for a new engine and maintenance costs if I want my car running again. I am wondering if there was any negligence running an engine stress test when I told them of the possible engine issues. What should I do?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You could discuss your concerns with a couple local attorneys to determine IF you potentially have a case worth pursuing.

You could speak with the dealer's insurer.

You could talk with all of your insurers to see if ANY of your current insurance policies cover your losses.

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

What year and model is your car and how many miles on it?

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Just FYI, BMWs are manufactured in Germany, and the dealership and the manufacturer are decidedly different entities.

Not really sure what you expect anyone here to tell you. We have no way of knowing if any negligence occurred.

5. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

You might want to tell the folks in South Carolina that also build them that.

army judge likes this.