Car dealership service department. Blown engine

Stockyakny

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello. I had an issue with my vehicle and brought it to the BMW dealership to have their service department investigate the issue. I had an engine timing fault and needed the manufacturer to diagnose it. I told them the problem it was having and they proceeded to run the testing. About 4 hours into the testing process, one of the service technicians walked out and informed me that they were running an engine stress test and the engine in the vehicle blew up during the testing. They told me there was nothing I can do, but buy a new engine and they would not cover any of the cost. I now have to pay $16,000 for a new engine and maintenance costs if I want my car running again. I am wondering if there was any negligence running an engine stress test when I told them of the possible engine issues. What should I do?

Last edited:
What should I do?

You could discuss your concerns with a couple local attorneys to determine IF you potentially have a case worth pursuing.

You could speak with the dealer's insurer.

You could talk with all of your insurers to see if ANY of your current insurance policies cover your losses.

I had an issue with my vehicle and brought it to the BMW dealership to have their service department investigate the issue. I had an engine timing fault and needed the manufacturer to diagnose it.

Just FYI, BMWs are manufactured in Germany, and the dealership and the manufacturer are decidedly different entities.

What should I do?

Not really sure what you expect anyone here to tell you. We have no way of knowing if any negligence occurred.

Back