Car accident, registered in NY, accident in NJ

G

gmond

Jurisdiction
New York
I do not know what to do so am asking here for advice, as we have already paid one attorney who tried to find out answers and could not as this is not his specialty and he doesn't know anyone who does handle auto insurance claims.

In January I was driving our car in NJ, (I live in NY and the car is registered in NY), was stopped at a light and another driver just ran into my rear drivers side door, creating what we both thought was just a dent. Nobody was hurt, so we exchanged insurance info and contact info, and I went on my way as I was now late for a job interview and wanted to get going. I am in the process of going bankrupt, as I have not been able to find a decent job due to health conditions and age, 61, and my mother, whose name is on the title, is 87 and on social security.

The dent goes across the door into the panel by the back tire and to make a long story short, it will cost anywhere from 3k to 4k to fix as the door needs to be replaced before the dent in the back can be fixed. I called the driver and she said to go through her insurance as she was not going to pay that kind of money.

So to make a long story short, her insurance says the car is in excellent shape ( 2003 Ford Focus ) but has to be totaled because the repair costs 70% more than the blue book value of the car.

We said no way, we can never buy another car for 4k that will equal what we have now, this car has less than 40k miles and aside from this dent in the rear door is in perfect drivable condition and has been maintained for years and allowing it to be totaled for a settlement of 4k will put us into unnecessary hardship as we are the victim in this accident and nobody is disputing that the other driver was at fault.

I called our insurance who said that we were lucky that the driver's insurance company was letting us keep the car, as they would take it if we had put a claim in with them.

We refused the settlement a month ago and now the insurance rep is calling us and telling us that he reported our car as salvage to the DMV and we have to accept his settlement and I need advice as to exactly what happens in NY when I have a salvage car, what happens to the title, registration, and insurance we have already paid for the year, the NY DMV site is extremely uninformative compared to other states' websites, and even then I see no direct information regarding refusing a settlement, and above all, how can he report it when we did not settle? This is our only means of transportation and it is perfectly drivable and not scrap metal and as the victim of their client's stupidity, why do we have to pay for her mistake?

If you have to pay for the "mistake", as you term it of the other driver, its because you chose to involve her insurance carrier.

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask.

Are you displeased because the other party's insurance carrier has paid you $4,000 and let you KEEP a car that most insurers would take to sell for scrap?

Buddy, you caught a break on that.

In NY, if a car is salvaged (or junked) and you wish to drive a "scrap" car, read on:
A salvage vehicle that is recovered after a theft or rebuilt after the damage must be examined by the DMV before the DMV can issue a new title. If the proof of ownership for a salvage vehicle is a NYS Salvage Certificate (MV-907A), the DMV will not issue a title certificate without a salvage vehicle examination.
About the Salvage Vehicle Examination Program
See, you DO get to keep and use the car, after your state's DMV has inspected the car and determined it to be "roadworthy and safe to operate on the public roadways"!!!

Now you KNOW what you must do, if you wish to reap the largesse from a very friendly insurance company.

We refused the settlement per our lawyer's instructions, as we will be without a car to drive and we will be dropped by our insurance company. I don't care about how friendly the other insurance company is, this is causing a hardship on us as this is the only car we have, the driver's insurance says they will not pay for a rental car as they do not pay that for a salvage settlement, we can't afford a rental car on our own, and we certainly don't have money to have the car towed anywhere for any kind of inspection once it is repaired, and we have been driving it before and after we refused the settlement. Aside from our obviously boring sob story, how is the insurance company able to notify anyone that our car is salvage when we refused the settlement?

Aside from our obviously boring sob story, how is the insurance company able to notify anyone that our car is salvage when we refused the settlement?

You might ask your lawyer.
After all, he/she is somewhat responsible for a small portion of this blowback.
Refusing the settlement, wow!

Even though I possess an IQ of 185, unfortunately I am not psychic, some have suggested I'm somewhat psychotic, however. :D

The only way you can receive an answer to your question is to ask the entity that you believe to be responsible for your injury.

I suspect that might be the other party's insurer, the entity you initially contacted.

Ask the insurer, or maybe your insurer can supply a more cogent answer than you have received to date.

My suspicions support the premise that insurers are authorized (perhaps mandated) reporters to your state's DMV.

If my premise is correct, you might also ask your state's DMV.

Good luck.

If your damage exceeds what the insurance pays then your option is to sue the driver for the remainder.
Since you didn't accept the offer you should still be able to sue the driver.

Your situation is difficult to assess because you already hired an attorney and there is no telling what has already been done or what agreements have been made.

Thank you for your replies.

We did not hire an attorney per se, we just met with one who was a friend of my late father and who my mother trusts for advice. He made a few phone calls to other lawyers and his own insurance agent as he did not have any expertise in the car insurance field and the best he told us to do was get more estimates to see if we could find someone to repair the dent cheaply enough for us to not have the car totaled. We tried and could not find anyone who would not want to replace the entire door and all estimates are between 3k and 4k.

So we said no thanks to the insurance agent offering the settlement of less than 4k, we will just drive with the dent.

Now the insurance agent has called again to say he already reported the car as salvage to the DMV and we are at a total loss as to how to proceed, no pun intended.

Taking the money to have the car repaired without a rental car or any other transportation is not an option, that is why we refused the settlement.

We would rather drive the car with a dent than go through all of this hardship and extra expense.

According to what I read on the NY DMV site, we can't get a salvage inspection until after the car is repaired, which won't be for a while since we would have to come up with the rest of the money for the repair ourselves, and the application for a salvage inspection will cost us another 205.00, and that does not even include the cost of having the car towed to an inspection station in another county.

None of this includes what happens with our own insurance company, whose agent already told us that if we filed a claim through them and they found that the cost to repair was too great, they would total the car and take it, so she said if the other insurance company will let us keep the car, to stick with them and accept their settlement. Which we did not do. I don't know what will happen with our insurance company if we now actually have a salvage vehicle, as she also said we would probably be dropped, even though we have paid for the year already. (Allstate)

I just want to know how and why and if the insurance company can report a totaled car to the DMV when there was no settlement?? and what if anything is our recourse?

Again, very sorry for the long boring sob story but this is all seems like excessive punishment to the victim of an accident.

You need to get the insurance company to correct their mistake. They should not have reported the vehicle as salvage if you declined the offer. The matter is still unsettled.

Thank you for clarifying, I hope this does not entail actually hiring a lawyer and going to court to get that salvage reversed, and I need to contact the insurance agent again anyway as they have the car listed in their valuation report as having a stick instead of automatic transmission, this just gets curiouser and curiouser

Back