Can you be fired for giving 2 weeks notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcusa

My son plans on moving to Phoenix and gave his employer 2 weeks notice. He has been told thru the grapevine that the boss intends to fire him on Monday, believing that his work will suffer. (he is a mechanic)
He has been with his present job approx 1 year. Must the employer pay him for those two weeks? Has he any other rights, other than unemployment?
He was counting on those last 2 weeks' paychecks.

"Must the employer pay him for those two weeks?" Nope.

"Has he any other rights, other than unemployment?" Nope. If the employer wishes to accept his resignation immediately, they may.

Since information heard "through the grapevine" is notoriously unreliable, I suggest your son talk to his supervsior and find out if they plan to let him go early because he's give notice. Chances are that's not the case.

He was fired. His immediate boss called me last night and said he had spoken to the owner to try and change his mind, but to no avail.
Well I told him to go on unemployment immediately and at least make the company pay that.

You can call it being fired if you want to. It doesn't change the fact that he gave his resignation and his employer accepted it effective immediately.

He certainly should apply for unemployment. However, whether he is eligible will depend on your state law. In most states of my experience, when an employee gives notice and the employer releases him immediately, they are eligible FOR THE NOTICE PERIOD ONLY but state law varies. He might be eligible indefinitely; he might not be eligible at all since he resigned.

If your son's employment is at-will, then it is likely the employer can terminate the employment at any time for no reason at all. The "2 weeks notice" thing is more of a fantasy that many have created in their minds based upon written contracts that do contain such clauses. In an at will relationship neither party has to give prior notice to the other but it would be considerate to provide it if possible. Filing for unemployment is always a good idea, which your son can do in this case because he was terminated. However, do note that unemployment requires one to make an effort to obtain a job and in this instance your son may not be able qualify -- take a look at the requirements.

Originally posted by jimc_usa
My son plans on moving to Phoenix and gave his employer 2 weeks notice. He has been told thru the grapevine that the boss intends to fire him on Monday, believing that his work will suffer. (he is a mechanic)
He has been with his present job approx 1 year. Must the employer pay him for those two weeks? Has he any other rights, other than unemployment?
He was counting on those last 2 weeks' paychecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back