can they cut my hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misia

i worked a my job for over year and a half. two weeks ago i asked about a raise. i was angry they denied it. becacuse i worked over 43 hours a week. i told them that i am goin to look for another job. and if i find one then i put in my resignation.its hard to find a job and yet i still didnt found one. but i am being treated unfairly. they are talking behind my backs and creating a horrible working enviorment. as well as cutting my hours to 24 a week. i support my self awn appt. car. school. i am getting 9/hr. and after taxes i will probably get less then 200 dollers. how can anyone live off that!! they called me and told me not to come in on monday. i said ok. heard they hired a new girl. later on they called me and told me that the scheduel has changed and i work only on friday and satrerday. the worst and busiest days of the week. working 12 hurs a day. with 20 min for brek. and 30 for lunch. i have been working full time for a while and i have not left work yet and i dont know if i will leave even any time soon. can they do that? cut me so much? and can i sue ? is so what my chance of winning if any.

It is not unlawful to cut your hours unless doing so falls into one of these catagories

. Takes you below minimum wage
. Is in violation of Union contract or employment contract
. Is because you belong to protected class

Your mistake was telling them your looking for new work

Unless you have a legally binding and enforceable contract that specifically guarantees you x number of hours per week, they can cut your hours to zero if they want to. No, you cannot sue, and if you do you will not win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back