Can the dentist send me to collections if I'm making regular payments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambercruz1

Hi,

Back in September I got 3 wisdom teeth pulled. I had insurance, but my insurance maxed out between that and some regular dentist stuff I had done before that at another doctors office. I got a bill in October for almost $800 for my share. I wrote them a letter letting them know that I would have to make monthly payments because I didn't know my insurance maxed out and I couldn't afford to pay all of that up front. I told them to call me if they had any concerns with that. I've never got a call from them saying this was a problem and I've sent two payments since then as promised (paying Dec payment in middle of this month). I just got a new bill in the mail showing my remaining balance of $500 and a sticker on the bill that says if they don't receive payment within 14 days they are sending my account to their collection agency. Can they do this if I'm making regular payments as promised and they never called to say that was a problem? Could they have forgotten that I sent them the letter stating my intentions? I've never gone to collections for anything in my life! Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Perhaps you can give them a call tomorrow and remind them of this agreement. However, all because YOU agreed to make payments does not imply that they ever agreed to such a thing. Do you have an agreement from them in writing agreeing to this? Do you remember who you spoke to who can verify this agreement was made if done verbally?

Call them Monday and find out what the options are.

CAN they send it to collections? They can try.

- Carl

You made the offer, but remember this was in no way accepted as an agreement. Most medical providers state on the paperwork you fill out when going in for treatment (or a notice clearly posted in the office) that payment is due at time of service. Call them, keep record of the person you speak with and the date and time of the call for your records, and ASK if they would be willing to extend the timeframe for you, and stick to your payments if they agree to that, otherwise if you default the balance will be on demand and owed in full immediately. In this economy most creditors will work with you if your offer is to payback in a reasonable timeframe (this was not a credit application), but be-cautious & pro-active. I would re-read the paperwork you signed at the time of treatment because you also could have accepted liability for collection and/or legal expences incurred for the cost of collection which would add to what you owe. All of us worry about a call or being yelled at, but you want to avoid this affecting your credit if it goes out to collection. If you make a call stating your good intentions, they likely will work with you if your payments are reasonable. If you have a 401k perhaps you may want to borrow against that, offer a settlement for less than what you owe (get that in writing) and even if they won't take a settlement, you can set the terms paying yourself backand earn interest on your 401k. Hope this helps!

When you signed the paperwork during the visit there would have been a paper about financial responsibility. Basically that if your insurance fails to pay, then you agree to pay. They don't have to agree to partial payments, but as stated, if you call them, they will probably be willing to work something out. Just let them know that you simply can't pay anymore per month than what you stated in the letter. That doesn't mean that can't still take it to collections, but if they understand that they won't get their money any faster going to collections, it might help.

Keep in mind too that many doctors and dentists use a third party billing company, that only sees you as a number, and it will require the dentist's office to stop that part.

Don't worry too much about being sent to the collection agency. If you are willing to pay the agency will be tickled pink with you. They will not report damaging information on your credit if you make and keep a full payment plan. The Dentist is just getting them to pay him some money now and letting them collect it from you. No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back