can STORE'S loss prevention officers use physical force outside store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya... I just don't want them to can my membership for not waiting in their silly line to go home.

I agree, but I've spoken to store manager's at bth stores (COSTCO & SAMS) about that issue.
Both said they won't cancel memberships for not waiting in the line.

Employees are instructed to not chase after customers who choose not to play that reindeer game.
They are told to call out to the customer, but do nothing more.
I agree, sometimes it ain't worth the hassle.

Last edited:
I just show it to them. Why not? It's easier than causing a scene.

Having worked retail theft a number of years I feel for the people being asked to do this. Its not their fault or call its store policy. Getting upset with them is unfair most would prefer not to do this as it quite often brings a angry response from patrons. If people did not steal there would be no call for this. Retailers lose over 15 Billion (with a "B") to shoplifting alone and that's not the bulk of their loses! The call to see a receipt is really a deterrent not (if any) thieves are actually caught this way. In general many LP don't even look to match receipt with merchandise in cart that would consume too much time. In fact many LP don't even know how to read the skew numbers to match to receipt. Next time you get angry over this practice keep in mind its not their choice and if others did not attempt wrongdoing there would be no call for this. Of course there is the option to ignore the practice and let retailers raise prices, cut staff and staff benefits etc etc.

That's true - good post, shrinkmaster.

The stores (Costco and Sams) speak with forked tongue.
I have spoken with general managers about the policy at both chains.
They have a policy, but they don't demand their customers show receipts.
They ask, and you are free to refuse.
Refusing will not affect your membership, and if you refuse, the employee is supposed to thank you and move allow you to move on.
It is simply a request, not a demand.
In most states, if a merchant (has reasonable grounds to suspect a theft) suspects a THEFT, the merchant can attempt to detain the suspect and investigate the matter.
The door receipt requests are entirely voluntary.
People have choices, when something is voluntary.
I am in NO way advocating others do what I do.
I am not asking others to do support my position.
I am simply stating my position, and supporting same with the legal authority for such receipt requests.
We all are free to politely disagree.

As far as price increases related to THEFT, more retailers suffer GREATER losses from inside (employee or shipper related theft), than they do from shoplifter or citizen theft.
Both are illegal, but insider theft far outdistances outsider theft.

The data shows that one out of every 40 employees stole from their retail employer in 2012, and on average, dishonest employees steal approximately 5.5 times the amount of retail goods than true shoplifters.

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/ar...s-disturbing-trend-of-internal-employee-theft

http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/shoplifting-laws/shoplifting-laws.html

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/ar...s-disturbing-trend-of-internal-employee-theft

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101193427

Last edited:
Did I say shoplifting was biggest lost? No I said the bulk came elsewhere! I think most people know the request for receipt is not mandatory even if not again its a deterrent to reduce theft. I am constantly advising/consulting with retailers and the like on simple means to prevent theft before it happens this is just one of those tools. Once again its the door persons choice its part of their job description.

Did I say shoplifting was biggest lost? No I said the bulk came elsewhere! I think most people know the request for receipt is not mandatory even if not again its a deterrent to reduce theft. I am constantly advising/consulting with retailers and the like on simple means to prevent theft before it happens this is just one of those tools. Once again its the door persons choice its part of their job description.

My comments weren't addressed to you.

I rarely address my comments to you.

It's the principle of it. I understand it has become a necessary evil, but if you don't exercise your freedom you will lose it little by little.
I deal with confrontation and conflict every day. I choose not to deal with it when I'm off duty. It takes nothing away from me to pause for a moment and wave a receipt at the guy. I don't feel the need to wear a frown and be confrontational just because I can.

I am always bemused by people who seem to live for the moment to stand up and puff out their chest to exercise some right or another. Seems like a lot of effort for no gain ... and no one will care that you exercise this "right" except for the employee that feels awkward by your action, and anyone else around who might form an opinion about your attitude or the store's policy. Even then, the passersby are likely to express merely a fleeting thought on the issue.

All because we CAN do something does not mean we should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back