Can someone take me to court over long distance charges on their cell bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyla

Someone I met online (not in person) want to take my to small claims court (in California) over their cell phone charges. I do not have a 900 number, just a Canadian one. He is saying that he will be taking me to court over his $900 dollar phone bill because the outcome of our online relationship did not go where he wanted. I decided not to meet him after 3 months of talking. In that three months he has said many hurtful, and dispicable things to me. I continued talking to him online and the phone after it, but said we can't meet right now because i'm still hurt, and frankly a bit scared. During that time I started dating someone, and was very upfront about it. He continued talking to me afterwards. I am still dating said person, but things have finally come to a head and he forced me to make a decision between my boyfriend and him. I chose my boyfriend. Someone who hasn't said I should be raped, that my ex should've killed me off, etc etc. He now wants to take me to court over his bill, which he wouldn't of done if I agreed to meetup or be with him.

Does he have any grounds for this? Will the court take this case and allow him to go through the procedings? I am very stressed about this, even though I didn't do anything wrong. Can someone give me advice on what to do, how to proceed with things, and if this case is even valid?

Thank you.

He doesn't stand any grounds to win the case if he takes you to small courts. I believe that person is an adult and makes his own decisions, emotional distress happens when relationships break down but when you get in to one, you do that out of your own consent. He is just playing scare tactics and nothing else.

"Nyla", he can sue anyone he wishes. If, however, he tried to sue you; it would go nowhere.
Why?
If you live in Canada, any US court would have no jurisdiction over you I amateur such as this.
If you reside in any of the other US states, he couldn't serve you.
Without service, he can't proceed.
Bottom line, stop communicating with him and stop using that "900" number to "do whatever you've been doing"!
People these days are nuts.
Keep your distance and mind your manners to save your life.
There are people who will kill you over 25 cents!

"Nyla", he can sue anyone he wishes. If, however, he tried to sue you; it would go nowhere.
Why?
If you live in Canada, any US court would have no jurisdiction over you I amateur such as this.
If you reside in any of the other US states, he couldn't serve you.
Without service, he can't proceed.
Bottom line, stop communicating with him and stop using that "900" number to "do whatever you've been doing"!
People these days are nuts.
Keep your distance and mind your manners to save your life.
There are people who will kill you over 25 cents!

Thank you for the reply. I do NOT have a 900 number, but a Canadian one. He does not have contact with me other than my cell and email.

Also, would it be unwise to change my telephone number and email account stuff? He has been harassing me as well, but I do not want to do anything that would make me look bad to the court.

Thank you for your replies!

army judge, I do NOT have a 900 number, but a Canadian one. We've just been talking and getting to know each other. You are right about needing to keep my distance. Would it be unwise to change all my contact info that he has access to (email, tumblr & cell)? He has been harassing me, and I just want it to stop. I believe that would be the easiest way, but I do not want to do anything that would make me look bad in the eyes of the court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back