Can she deny me custody if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessekaye

My girlfriend and I are breaking up and we have a 2 week old boy. There is another woman in my life (Anna) and Anna will be my wife in the next few months. The mother of my child has threatened that she will make sure I never see my boy if I carry on a relationship with Anna.

Can she deny my rights in any way based on me being with that specific woman?

You, already know the answer.
Legally she can't deny you the right to see your child.
Illegally she can.
Go to court immediately, and protect your parental rights.
Do not argue with her.
Hire a lawyer and deal with her through your lawyer and the courts.

Let's remember this OP is in Canada, not the US.

Regardless, this part is not correct:

If you start paying child support without confirming paternity, it cannot be stopped later if you're not the father.

(Or at the very least needs to be clarified - for example, a Dad who is NOT the biological father may well be able to stop paying child support if the biological father comes along and disestablishes Dad's paternity, then establishes his own paternity)

so if someone was paying support and turned out not to be the parent they would still have to pay even if the childs not theirs until the true parent would step forth? man the systems skrewed up!!

so if someone was paying support and turned out not to be the parent they would still have to pay even if the childs not theirs until the true parent would step forth? man the systems skrewed up!!

It's entirely possible for a legal - but NOT biological - father to be paying support unless and until a biological father steps in and files, yes.

Was that your question?

Yes, in 20 states they can do nothing at all. In 25 states, they have 12-24 months to learn they are not the father. In New York, a man is paying child support to his ex-wife whose now married to the bio dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back