Can my employer request that I sign a confession of a crime? (And other questions)

Okay

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I and my coworkers are hourly workers, not exempt from overtime, with no contract.
My employer has begun asking each employee every day if they have violated in any way our local or state health orders regarding COVID-19. If the answer is yes, they are sent home. The employer also requests that the employee sign a document informing them of when this took place, which amounts to confessing to a misdemeanor in the state of Colorado.
No one is required to sign the document, but they will receive unexcused absences and be subject to disciplinary action if they do not. Furthermore, this protocol has been implemented retroactively, so many of my coworkers are missing work without notice for shifts for which they were scheduled.

Is it legal to request that an employee sign this document?
Is it legal to take disciplinary action against an employee if they choose not to sign?
Is it legal in the first place for my employer to ask what we choose to do in our personal lives and determine if we can work based on those answers?
Is it legal for my employer to schedule an employee for work and then tell them to go home or not to come to work without much notice?

Thank you for your help.

I and my coworkers are hourly workers, not exempt from overtime, with no contract.
My employer has begun asking each employee every day if they have violated in any way our local or state health orders regarding COVID-19. If the answer is yes, they are sent home.

Saying NO is easier than saying YES.

The employer also requests that the employee sign a document informing them of when this took place, which amounts to confessing to a misdemeanor in the state of Colorado.

Again, saying NO is easier than saying YES, isn't it?

You can say NO honestly by simply obeying the laws or the local mandates.

You are also free to get yourself another job.

No one is required to sign the document, but they will receive unexcused absences and be subject to disciplinary action if they do not.

Signing the silly document is easier than NOT signing the document, especially if you are telling the TRUTH.

There is no law that will protect you from doing what you appear NOT willing to do.

Think about the consequences of your consent or refusal BEFORE you choose.

It isn't illegal.

Is it legal to take disciplinary action against an employee if they choose not to sign?

It isn't illegal.

Is it legal in the first place for my employer to ask what we choose to do in our personal lives and determine if we can work based on those answers?

It isn't illegal.

Is it legal for my employer to schedule an employee for work and then tell them to go home or not to come to work without much notice?

It isn't illegal.

It also isn't illegal for your employer to terminate your employment and NOT offer a reason.
An employer is free to say, "You're fired, now get!"

The laws regarding employment termination in Colorado:

Termination | Department of Labor & Employment

There are almost no circumstances in which it is not legal for one person to request that another person do something. Your employer may legally request that you sign a document that says you personally developed COVID-19 in a lab in your home.

You'd need a Colorado employment law attorney to get a reliable answer to this.

If the answer to that question impacts the health and safety of your fellow workers, absolutely.

Yes. Employee is scheduled to work 4-hour shift, and work is slow, so employee is told to clock out and go home after an hour. It happens all the time with hourly employees, and it's perfectly legal.

Back