1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Can I sign a document with V.C. (Vi Coactus) after my name, instead of before?

Discussion in 'Employment, Labor, Work Issues' started by MichiganWorker, Jul 15, 2019.

1. MichiganWorker

MichiganWorker Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Michigan
    I work in Michigan at a hotel.

My boss has been verbally-abusive towards all the employees where I am, and has written me up on disciplinary reports for things like not wringing out a mop correctly and has threatened to fire me.

The last two disciplinary reports I signed with my name and V.C. (Vi Coactus) after my name.

Today will be my third write-up when I come to work tonight, and that will be because I was sweeping the lobby with a different type of broom than that one he wanted me to use. (Though I wasn't aware of it at the time)

He has been screaming at other employees as well every day and threatening to fire them for small things.

I need to know that tonight when I tell him that I signed the last two disciplinary reports with V.C. that they still count as voiding the document.

When I originally heard about Vi Coactus I didn't realize it was usually put before the signature, but I am hoping it will count even though it was added after my signature.

Thank you for your time.

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

What do you think that this will do for you? Do you think it will prevent them from firing you?

3. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Still? They weren't voided in the first place...

justblue likes this.
  4. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

You can put it before your signature, after your signature, or use it instead of your signature.

It is absolutely worthless in this situation and does not in any way void the document.

5. MichiganWorker

I've read that placing V.C. with your signature means it was signed under duress and thus voided the contract.

6. MichiganWorker

Could you please explain how this is so?

It was signed under duress.

7. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

First - what you signed was not a contract.
    Second - you can't believe everything you read (or hear or see) on the internet.
    Third - you were not "under duress" when you signed it (legally speaking).

hrforme likes this.
  8. MichiganWorker

If the disciplinary-report isn't a contract, then it is not binding?

I was forced to sign it - he told me I absolutely had to.

9. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Huh? What do you think it "binds"?

Did he hold a gun to your head? Did he threaten you harm?

10. MichiganWorker

If the disciplinary-report that I signed was not a contract, does it still matter?

11. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Matter for what?

12. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

A disciplinary report is not a contract. You are not agreeing to anything. You are not saying that their assessment of your work is correct. Your signature indicates that you have been advised of management's view on the matter. The fact that you feel you were forced to sign it does not mean that they are now legally barred from firing you, if that is what you were thinking.

cynthiag and justblue like this.
  13. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

I reported this post because it's irresponsible to spread that nonsense.

shadowbunny, cynthiag and justblue like this.
  14. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

According to a quick google search, vi coactus is a Latin term meaning "having been forced" or "having been compelled." I'm going to guess that 99% of Americans won't know that without looking it up, so it strikes me as a terribly odd thing to have done (and even more odd to abbreviate an archaic term in a dead language).

Huh?

It doesn't count for anything.

That's a terribly silly notion. You certainly can sign something "under duress" or "under protest," but all that will do is support your claim that you signed because felt compelled and not because you wanted to sign. It certainly won't "void" anything. I don't know who the guy is in that video, but I looked at the article to which you linked, and found it noteworthy that it didn't cite a single actual statute or case decision (and the LinkedIn page for the author provides precisely zero credentials).

Signing a disciplinary report typically indicates nothing more than that the employee read it. It doesn't even signify agreement. Thus, there's nothing to "void."

Sure, but that's sort of like saying a car is "not binding." It's a meaningless statement.

It matters in the sense that, if you don't start doing your job the way your boss wants, you're likely to lose the job.

15. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

The OP has been delving in to the sovereign citizen nonsense.

hrforme likes this.
  16. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

abequote.jpg

justblue, shadowbunny and Zigner like this.