Can I quit and collect unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXrattler22

I live in New York and work at a bad call center. I have an ulcer, a hiatal hernia and acid reflux disease, all diagnosed. The company's refusal to correct obvious problems I have repeatedly brought to their attention causes me great stress and aggravates my conditions. Can I quit and collect unemployment? What must I do?
Here are more details:
My department has been created during the past year. The company sells items on ebay and Amazon via third-party drop shipping. We physically enter orders and do "customer service" via email and telephone. The company posts items for sale online with full knowledge that it does not have all of them, violating the first rules of the online markets. It sends out invoices with inaccurate monetary totals. It also is aware that numerous items are erroneously described, leading people to receive items other than what they ordered. It also is aware items are listed with wrong prices in puts us in the position of informing customers that the company is reneging on its agreement. These and other clear, systemic problems have gone uncorrected for months, leaving me and two others in the line of fire from angry customers. Rather than correct the problems, the company has demanded that we do more work tracking alleged "in stock items" that go on backorder. In addition, rather than admitting to being understaffed, it has created a "dashboard" to track the hourly production of the three of us and reminds us several times daily via email of its unrealistic expectations. I think it is harassment and a hostile work environment. Other employees under the same supervisor aren't made to do the same things. One elderly employee under the same supervisor produces little and is uncontested. I know the stress has aggravated my acid reflux, ulcer and other stomach conditions.
I very much want to quit, but I need to know that I will be granted unemployment benefits. I also want to know if I have any grounds for a lawsuit. To top matters off, the company's health insurance won't pay for the medications a gastrologist prescribed to treat my ailments. Thanks for your attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back