can i keep my engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your jurisdiction. Generally, the ring is a conditional gift, and until the condition is fulfilled, it can be revoked. Whoever broke off the engagement is responsible for the condition not being fulfilled, and loses their claim to the ring. So if the groom-to-be broke off the engagement, he prevented the marriage from occurring, and the bride-to-be keeps the ring.

Several states have modified this rule. If you're in Connecticut, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin, it doesn't matter who broke off the engagement. If it's off, the groom gets the ring back.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this in Virginia? My ex left me after I got sick, left me to cover all joint finances, and has now filed a civil claim for a 'diamond' ring based upon'oral contract item given as consideration in contemplation and on condition of marriage not fulfilled' but we got the diamond and setting together a month prior to engagement, and I didn't break it off :(

Just return the ring, if you didn't purchase it. Don't complicate your life.

It is easiest to just return it and be done with it, however you have no obligation to return it unless a court orders you to do so.
If you sell it or "lose" it you might find yourself paying for it.
Anyway, the ring was a gift, not a contract. I suspect any attempt to force you to return it will ultimately fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back