Can i get married?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pregoteen

I'm 16 pregnant and a ward of the state. I have been told that i can legally get married, but i dont know how to go about doing that. f anyone can offer advice it would be greatly appreciated. i need all the help i can get and asap too

I don't know who told you that you can legally get married, but whoever it was doesn't know diddly about the law. You can legally get married if and only if your legal guardian - who in this case would be the state - gives sworn consent IN PERSON before the county clerk at the time you file your application for a marriage license. If they will not do that then you're not getting married until you're 18.

Contrary to what far too many children - and even some adults - believe, getting pregnant does not provide you with legal emancipation or the right to marry outside the laws of your state. It provides medical emancipation, meaning that with the help of your doctor you can make your own decisions about your health care and that of your baby - ONLY. Outside of that you have no rights that a non-pregnant minor does not have.

Sure you can marry anyone you wish, you just have to be an adult, that's 18 years old. By gosh, you're so darn close, hold on, you'll be an adult in no time.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Illinois - If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you will have to provide a copy of your birth certificate along with some other sort of identification showing your date of birth. You will also need to have the sworn consent from each parent, each legal guardian or a judge - in person - before the county clerk at the time of application. Your parents or guardians will need to provide identification like a driver's license, state identification card, Illinois Department of Public Aid card, or passport. If your parent is deceased, you will need to show a death certificate or proof of guardianship, or a court order waiving consent. A legal guardian will also need to show a certified copy of the guardianship papers. If you are under sixteen (16) years of age, you cannot get married in Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back