Can I get emancipated to move in with another parent?

aimebev

Jurisdiction
California
I just recently turned 17 and am living with my mom and step dad. I visit my dad and he pays my mom child support for my brother and I but I wish to live with him. My mom is extremely controlling and is not giving me responsibilities that will prepare me for adulthood in a year. I would really like to prepare for being independent by gaining experience with managing money, having a job, and being able to exercise my freedom to an extent. Also my step dad has very bad anger issues and is uncomfortable and intimidating to be around.
My mom does not want me to live with my dad because he will not make me go to church (she forces me to go to her church or else I get my things taken) and she wants the child support money. I have talked to my dad and he is more than willing to allow me to move in if he can legally stop paying her my child support. Do you think I have a good chance of a judge declaring my emancipation even if my mom is not exactly abusive? I know the purpose of getting emancipated is to gain freedom from your parents but my dad can support me until I'm 18. I would also like to add I am in highschool and do not have a job.

When you turn 18, you can then move to where you want.

Agree. The short answer is no.
You want to be emancipated but at the same time become dependent on someone else. It doesn't happen that way
You are better off trying to resolve your problems at home .

I just recently turned 17 and am living with my mom and step dad. I visit my dad and he pays my mom child support for my brother and I but I wish to live with him. My mom is extremely controlling and is not giving me responsibilities that will prepare me for adulthood in a year. I would really like to prepare for being independent by gaining experience with managing money, having a job, and being able to exercise my freedom to an extent. Also my step dad has very bad anger issues and is uncomfortable and intimidating to be around.
My mom does not want me to live with my dad because he will not make me go to church (she forces me to go to her church or else I get my things taken) and she wants the child support money. I have talked to my dad and he is more than willing to allow me to move in if he can legally stop paying her my child support. Do you think I have a good chance of a judge declaring my emancipation even if my mom is not exactly abusive? I know the purpose of getting emancipated is to gain freedom from your parents but my dad can support me until I'm 18. I would also like to add I am in highschool and do not have a job.
Sounds like a typical parent and nothing that would allow you to emancipate. If your dad wants custody he could have gone to court.

Oh surprise your dad wants you to move in if he can stop paying child support. How convenient for your dad...

Did you read anything on emancipation before you posted?

Back