Can he do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

office_worker

This year one of the owners decided to make all employees salary, we had no choice. When we first signed the paper it was stated that we get one personal day and one free tardy and there was a "bonus" $2,400 if we didn't have more than one absent and tardy a month (we would get at the end of the year). Come to find out the "bonus" is really part of our annual pay and we have to accrue hours for the personal day (3.48 hours per paycheck) and if we take a day off or call in sick and we have no "vacation" they will deduct $93-$96 something like that, from the "bonus" and paycheck. An example what you make a year: $21,400
Contract:
Base Salary $19,000
Bonus $2,400
Some employees don't even make $93 or $96 a day, so they are taking out more money than what some of us actually make a day. I don't see how this adds up. It's not even a bonus, it's my earned money. Is this legal?
Also they just handed out a "new" employee handbook, three of our employees recently had deaths in the family and according to the handbook we get three days no pay of bereavement. We called the owner to ask what happens if they take more than 3 days and he stated that it doesn't apply any more because they are salary and they can take the time off if they have vacation if not the "bonus" will be deducted. Can he do this? Is there a California law regarding employer giving employee bereavement? It is actually written but all of a sudden he changed it. It also stated that if any changes happen we will get a notice but no such notice went out.
Also if we lose the handbook or if any pages are damaged, they will deduct $50 from our paycheck (when we leave the company). Really, is that ok?
As of this year we only get 6 holidays off, he took 6 days away. I really think he is taking average of employees. It's not like the business is doing bad. He owns 3 preschool and opening another one.
Please let me know if what he is doing is wrong. I know part of owning a business is making money but is this right? The sad part is they stated they are doing us a favor.

Some employees don't even make $93 or $96 a day, so they are taking out more money than what some of us actually make a day. I don't see how this adds up. It's not even a bonus, it's my earned money. Is this legal? If your deductions are more than the law requires, point that out to HR and if not addressed, denounce the business to the authorities.

Also they just handed out a "new" employee handbook, three of our employees recently had deaths in the family and according to the handbook we get three days no pay of bereavement. We called the owner to ask what happens if they take more than 3 days and he stated that it doesn't apply any more because they are salary and they can take the time off if they have vacation if not the "bonus" will be deducted. Can he do this? As long as he is not violating the law in California, it is his company and he can dictate what are the policies regarding time off, absences and what is computed on the bonus that will best suit his business.

Is there a California law regarding employer giving employee bereavement? There is no law in California or as a matter of fact, in the country, that requires private employers to grant leave when there is a death in the family. Employers, at their own will, are entitled to draft their bereavement policy.

Also if we lose the handbook or if any pages are damaged, they will deduct $50 from our paycheck (when we leave the company). Really, is that ok? Yes, since the company paid for those handbooks.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back