1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Can exwife reinstate alimony after a brief new marriage?

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by MichiganDadLuv, Dec 15, 2016.

  1. MichiganDadLuv

    MichiganDadLuv Law Topic Starter Guest

    Hello, my husbands exwife was recieving alimony for a few months before she remarried which terminated the alimony. The divorce states it terminates upon remarriage. Otherwise it was 1500 per month for 4 years.

    Yet now she is divorcing her new husband and would have been married only a matter of months.

    So my husband and exwife divorced in May of 2016 and both remarried shortly after, however her new marriage will be ending due to shes divorcing him months after remarrying.

    Can she submit to have the alimony reinstated? Her first husband... now my husband... gave her a nice car, 85K for a house, money, let her finish a license, a horse, horse support... alot of child support, etc... Not sure if that helps but he did help her begin her life again.

    They were married just over 10 years, have 3 kids & divorced in May 2016... she remarried in Aug of 2016 and has filed for divorce with the new guy recently...

    Michigan is a no fault state but she cheated on him for years. He never knew and was faithful. He was busy building his business and she played. Their kids were potty trained by their K or 1st grade teachers, didnt know how to brush their teeth, make cereal, pick up after themselves, right from wrong, etc. The help did everything... she literally just worked out, shopped, vacationed & eventually dated others & got a sitter.

    I feel this should somehow be tajen into account bc she asked for any financial struggles. Yet know they have 50% custody and she gets 3200 in child support. Shes doing amazing if you asked me. Sheesh I did not have it easy after my divorce and I did not cause my even.

    Hope you can help?
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Your husband should be urged to visit a licensed attorney in your state to discuss how he best protect HIS assets.
    leslie82 likes this.
  3. Highwayman

    Highwayman Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    The ex can ask for anything she wants - that doesn't mean she'll get it or is even entitled to it.

    Sounds like your husband was generous with her - more so than I would have been. Makes me wonder if he had an attorney for his divorce.

    In any event, as you were already advised by army judge, he should consult with an attorney to see where he stands. I wouldn't be looking to give her anything else unless a court orders it.
  4. ElleMD

    ElleMD Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Any fault for how the kids were raised lies with him as much as her. It has nothing to do with child support or alimony.
  5. leslie82

    leslie82 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    What was your husband doing during this time? Why wasn't he raising the kids if the mother was so inept? Why was HE letting the "help" raise their kids? Why wasn't he teaching them those basic things?

    Maybe he didn't tell you the whole story...

Share This Page