Can child support collect from USA California to Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeanine25

Jurisdiction
Other
I recently signed up for welfare. I was told they will open a child support case against the father. The father is a Philippine National and has never been to the USA. He is unemployed. Our children were born overseas but are now currently in USA. The father and I are still in a relationship with plans to petition him soon to USA when I get back on my feet and have a job. My question is if child support will be enforceable in the Philippines. I've read there is no reciprocity between the USA or California with the Philippines.

I recently signed up for welfare. I was told they will open a child support case against the father. The father is a Philippine National and has never been to the USA. He is unemployed. Our children were born overseas but are now currently in USA. The father and I are still in a relationship with plans to petition him soon to USA when I get back on my feet and have a job. My question is if child support will be enforceable in the Philippines. I've read there is no reciprocity between the USA or California with the Philippines.

This website discusses the laws of the US only.

You will need to contact child support authorities in the PI.

If dude is unemployed, even if the PI and the US have a child support treaty, how do you propose dude will be able to pay?

This website discusses the laws of the US only.

You will need to contact child support authorities in the PI.

If dude is unemployed, even if the PI and the US have a child support treaty, how do you propose dude will be able to pay?

Ok thank you. I'm just asking because the welfare department told me they will open a case and I was wondering how that would work since I've read only certain countries have reciprocity with the USA and the Philippines is not one of them.

However he might build up arrears and have to pay them once he comes to the states.... don't know if arrears would affect any immigration issues...

As far as I can tell, you live in the U.S., while your child's father lives in the Philippines. Right? While the welfare authorities probably will "open a child support case against the father," that case isn't going to be meaningful until and unless the father actually enters the U.S. (most states' child support enforcement authorities are overworked with cases involving folks who actually live in-state; they don't likely have the resources to chase down folks in foreign countries) The catch-22 for you is that, if your child's father has outstanding child support obligations, that may prevent him from getting into the U.S. Thus, you may want to discuss with this man whether it would be better for you to withdraw your welfare application in favor of him sending you some money to help support your kid.

I have a questions? I'm from the Philippines and i have a fiance that is American. We have a child together and my son is with me. We're not in a good shape in this relationship. He filed for k1 visa petition last year and there is no update yet. My question is, how will be the process of child support claim if i'm here in the philippines? Do i need to contact a lawyer in the state where my ex fiance live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back