Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyT

I have three children-10, 8, and 2-all boys. I'm in the middle of a divorce and soon to be ex is telling me that I can't have all three boys in the same room. He is trying to get shared placement of our son, only the 2yr old is his, which means that he won't have to pay child support. But I know that I won't be able to make enough money to pay for a three bedroom place for us to live. My question is:Do I have to have a three bedroom or can they share a room? I've tried to find the law that he keeps telling me that Wisconsin has but I can't find it. Can anyone give me advice or direction? Thank you for your help.

Although I think that's completely ridiculous, I looked anyway.

I can't find anything in WI code that dictates sleeping arrangements for siblings other than those in foster care. That's not the case in your situation, so I'm sure your STBX is blowing smoke. I doubt that you will be required to have a 3 bedroom home.

If he knows of a law to the contrary, tell him to produce it.

Have you consulted an attorney or asked the question through any form of free indigent legal service? It seems a relatively easy question to be answered.

Other than local zoning laws that might effect the number of occupants in a structure or room fo a certain square footage, I can't see that putting three kids in the same room would be unlawful. It might not be ideal, and it might give your ex a good argument for shared custody, but I doubt it is specifically unlawful - I know people for whom that is a fact of life out here and there is no foul.

- Carl

My plan was to get a two bedroom and let the boys have the master bedroom since they are generally bigger. And I've tried to find any laws or regulations regarding children sharing a room but I can't seem to find anything except info about foster care. Thank you for helping.

I don't really think you have anything to worry about regarding the sleeping arrangements. The dad may get shared placement, but that decision most likely will not be based on the number of bedrooms you have.

Also, shared placement doesn't necessarily mean he won't have to pay any child support unless you both have similar incomes. It will lower the amount though, based on the number of overnights he is awarded.

Good luck to you.

Shared placement does not mean no CS. CS is based on income and parenting time. If he makes more than you he will likely pay some CS. Shared placement/joint custody is being given alot so figure out what is worth battling and see if you 2 can work something out. If dad's income is more, he will likely pay some CS anyways.

He is Too Stupid for WORDS

In Alabama, I KNOW for a fact that if the children are the same sex then they most certainly can share a room! I also have 3 boys and I also am divorced from an idiot like the one you have, probably brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back