Can Alimony be automatically taken from my SSI?

ShadowHawk412

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My wife has been granted $200 weekly for Spousal Support. My question is can that be garnished? If so will she have to pay for legal services or just tell the judge that I'm not paying as per the court order? She lives in Ohio but filed for divorce in Arizona I live in Pittsburgh PA.

SSI is a special program.

As a special program, there are special protections for its recipients.

Take comfort in the sentence below, dear reader, no one can touch a dime of your SSI payments, not even for spousal support.

If you receive SSI, it cannot be taken to pay child support, COURT ORDERED SPOUSAL SUPPORT, student loan payments, or unpaid taxes.

Can a Bill Collector Garnish My Social Security Disability or SSI? | Disability Secrets

That kind you that makes me feel a lot better I have Aspergers, and Tourettes Syndrome and am unable to work due to these conditions. She always feels she's right about everything. Also if she wants to cause trouble would she have to file with the state in which her divorce was filed or where she currently lives?

That kind you that makes me feel a lot better I have Aspergers, and Tourettes Syndrome and am unable to work due to these conditions. She always feels she's right about everything. Also if she wants to cause trouble would she have to file with the state in which her divorce was filed or where she currently lives?

No one can touch your SSI, mate.

She will soon discover that she is wrong, if she goes after your SSI payments.
Certain Social Security payments can be attached for certain debts.
SSI is special, and the law has drawn a hedge of protection around SSI payments.
However, if you were to win the lottery for $1,000,00, for example, she could go after that money.

The bank account where your SSI payments are deposited is protected by law.
So, don't stress over this one issue, mate.

There are many things in this life that can us grief, but your SSI is safe, so enjoy the fact this time you beat her.

Now, be smart, don't go telling her, simply remain silent and smile wryly like the "Mona Lisa" did in that great painting.

You've won this one, mate.

Back