Can a website be held liable

Status
Not open for further replies.

edandsharon

I have been under continuous harassment from an ex-employee and a group of his friends that has affected both by business and personal reputation. They are using one internet site in particular where there is a free open forum to do this. They are posting slanderous lies and using our business names and personal names in these posts. I have called the website owner and ask that they filter out our names and was told they cannot. In this day of ip address masking they said they cannot even block them by address. Can the website owner be held liable for allowing these type of posts that aim at destroying a business or personal reputation?

Than You

Very likely not. But the specific individuals can be held responsible for what they post. Consult local counsel.

I have been under continuous harassment from an ex-employee and a group of his friends that has affected both by business and personal reputation. They are using one internet site in particular where there is a free open forum to do this. They are posting slanderous lies and using our business names and personal names in these posts. I have called the website owner and ask that they filter out our names and was told they cannot. In this day of ip address masking they said they cannot even block them by address. Can the website owner be held liable for allowing these type of posts that aim at destroying a business or personal reputation?

Than You

Anyone who uses any form of electronic communication to harass or threaten is committing a felony.

Sue the website, and name the ones doing the damages as co-defendants. You can get an injunction, and get money damages for outrageous tort claim.

I strongly believe and defend one's right to free speech and expression, but to use the net to do such things is no different than going to the local radio station, and broadcasting it.

I watched one website doing crap like that, they didn't make it but about 90 days before they got shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back