1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Can a judge force relocation to pay child support and alimony?

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by opie104, Jul 8, 2016.

  1. opie104

    opie104 Law Topic Starter Guest

    My boyfriend is a geophysicist, working for an oil company. He makes very good money, and pays his ex, who lives out of state in Oklahoma, a great amount of money in child support and alimony each month. There is talk of this office branch closing. My question is this: Can he take a lesser-paying job, as a consultant, so he can stay here, or would he be ordered by the judge to take an out-of-state transfer, where he would make the same amount of money he's currently making? We are not married yet, but are talking seriously of it. I have kids and do not wish to transfer with him. Can he stay here and take a lesser paying job? If we marry would it increase his chances that he would be allowed to stay in this state?

    Also, not sure it matters but his ex has a master's in psychology and has chosen not to work or further her education for the 3 years they have been apart. There has been no attempt for her to be self sufficient.
  2. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    There is no way any judge anywhere would compel him to relocate to make the same amount of money that he's making now. But if he voluntarily takes a lower paying job a judge is likely to compel him to continue paying the same amount as he was paying before, no matter how painful it is.

    You need to understand, and be able to live with, his obligations to his ex before you marry him because he will always have to pay her first before he takes care of you.

    As for his ex living life on the gravy train, if you are referring to alimony or spousal support, that's typically ordered based on the spouse's financial condition at the time of divorce and whether he can do anything about it depends on the terms of the order. He's free to consult an attorney and review his options.
  3. ElleMD

    ElleMD Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    However, if he loses his job or must relocate away from his children to keep the job he has, and subsequent to losing his job, he makes less, that is a valid reason to modify the support order. No guarantees, but it would be unusual to order him to pay the same amount when his income was reduced involuntarily

Share This Page