Can a CT court have jurisdiction over a UK resident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

passionateman

I was divorced in CT in 2003. I moved to the UK a year ago and have a visa for residency; I expect to live here for several years. My ex-wife claims I'm not paying enough child support (the issues are murky). She will be taking it to court.

Does a CT court have jurisdiction over me? And even if they award her additional payments, how can they enforce this? Last question: if it turns out they do have jurisdiction, how likely is the UK to pursue this?

If you divorced in CT then they have jurisdiction, UK does not and yes it can be enforced. You might want to hire an CT attorney to make sure mom is entitled to the increase, and you also might want to make sure there is a visitation order in place so you can see the child.

Child support vs alimony

This is very helpful, thanks. But it seems to apply only to child support, which is not an issue. Is there another agreement for alimony?

My ex-wife claims I'm not paying enough child support (the issues are murky). She will be taking it to court.

But it seems to apply only to child support, which is not an issue

Which is it?

I'm beginning to believe there's a lot more to this story which will negatively affect your chances of prevailing in ANY court action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back