Can a child sue a parent for unpaid child support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpope

If a child is 18 can they sue one of their parents for the money that they would have had to pay for child support? If they cant sue for the full child support amount, is it possible to sue for half the amout the child had to pay for certain things?

Before I go further, I have but one question.

Has there been ANY child support order involving you? (meaning, one of your parents was ordered to pay the other).

Your answer will matter.

This doesn't sound like an issue of past due support. It sounds like an 18 year old wanting mom and dad to pay support for current expenses.
If so, it won't happen.

If a child is 18 can they sue one of their parents for the money that they would have had to pay for child support? If they cant sue for the full child support amount, is it possible to sue for half the amout the child had to pay for certain things?

Contrary to a common misconception, child support isn't owed, nor is it ever paid to a child.
I could ramble on with a boring legal explanation, but I'll save us both (as well as other readers) time.
If your mother or father was owed (or is still owed) child support, that's money she or he received from the other parent to assist in caring for you.
It was ordered to be paid by the non-custodial parental unit to lower the financial burden on the custodial parental unit.

To answer your question, yes, you can sue anyone you desire to sue.
If you sue your mother or father for child support, you, the plaintiff won't prevail.

You are free, however, to bring that lawsuit and see what happens.

Or, you can read this informative articles discussing variations on the question you posed:

http://family-law.freeadvice.com/family-law/child_support/back_child_support.htm

http://family-law.lawyers.com/child-support/paying-for-college-when-parents-are-divorced.html

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back