can a call an employee after they call in sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollywood

an employee claims i "harrassed" her by calling her at home after she called in sick. she claims i broke state labor laws. yet i don't know where i can go to look that up. also.... do i have to work an employee after they give an official two weeks notice? I terminated an employee a couple days after recieving their notice. they claim i broke state law by not employing them till the end of their notice. please advise!:confused:

Originally posted by hollywood:
an employee claims i "harrassed" her by calling her at home after she called in sick. she claims i broke state labor laws. yet i don't know where i can go to look that up. also.... do i have to work an employee after they give an official two weeks notice? I terminated an employee a couple days after recieving their notice. they claim i broke state law by not employing them till the end of their notice. please advise!:confused:
To begin, most people don't know the law and will say many things when they are angry. Per my understanding, in general I do not believe that there is no "two weeks notice" law and that employment is generally at-will. What state are you in? Additionally, this person's argument makes no sense because in most instances, even if an employee is given a courtesy two week "severence" it is a payment of two weeks salary but typically the employee is not at work. After all, the employee got fired for a reason and do you want him or her dealing with your customers?

In many companies policy states that an employee who leaves provide two weeks prior notice so they aren't left without someone to do the work. In return, if an employee is terminated (when not a firing) the employee will receive two weeks pay.

Let this person point to the law they claim protects them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back