Can a 17 year old move in with her boyfriend?

P

paramedic24

Jurisdiction
New York
Hey! Can a 17 year old girl leave home and go live with her 18 year old boyfriend? The girl is abused at home and is treated very badly. What do you think the worst thing could happen if she just left home. Would the two teens get in trouble? Thanks!

She's a minor. Her parents are in control. They could haul her back and get a restraining order against you. If you violate the restraining order you go to jail.

I suggest that the boyfriend (you?) keep it in his pants and butt out until she's 18.

She's a minor. Her parents are in control. They could haul her back and get a restraining order against you. If you violate the restraining order you go to jail.

I suggest that the boyfriend (you?) keep it in his pants and butt out until she's 18.
Haha no, not me. But she's getting abused very badly to the point where there's bruises. This isn't a fact that he "needs to keep it in his pants". It's the fact she's getting abused and no one will help her.

Haha no, not me. But she's getting abused very badly to the point where there's bruises. This isn't a fact that he "needs to keep it in his pants". It's the fact she's getting abused and no one will help her.

Call the police, Good Samaritan.
Report the abuse to Child Protection Services, Do Gooder.
Tell a teacher, administrator, nurse, or counselor at her school, Sir Goodknight.

It's the fact she's getting abused and no one will help her.

Baloney.

She can call the police when the bruises are fresh and visible and they'll arrest whoever beat her. She can call CPS and they will remove her from the environment and find her another place to live.

Anybody vicious enough to beat her won't have any qualms against going to the BF's house, yanking her out, and beating her some more.

Moving in with the BF is not the solution.

I don't know who you are but if you want to help her, you can suggest to her that she call the police if physically abused or CPS. You might also suggest she talk to a trusted adult such as a favorite teacher or school counselor.

The bottom line answer is no, a 17 year old girl cannot leave home and go to live with her 18 year old boyfriend. If she is being physically abused there are legal options available to her, but that is not one of them.

Back