Can a 1099 contractor get "let go" over not driving to work on a snow day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguru

Hello and thank you for reading. My question is: Can i get "let go" over not driving to work on a snow day?

I am a 1099 contractor at a large corp. in Central NJ. I do information technology. Only been there 2 months and change. This morning when I went out to start my car I saw pretty heavy snow falling. So after checking weather reports I decided to send out an email to the entire team letting them know I'd be working from home. I had always driven in during snow and saw everyone else on my team including other contractors sending out emails that they'd be working from home and no one ever had any issues that I was aware of.

My boss immediately replied to my email personally (not to the entire team, just me) and told me directly to take the day off or get into work. Flat out. I then replied with all due respect, I'd take the day off. .. Now I have to go "see him in his office" first thing in the morning tomorrow and I am freaking out that hes going to "let me go" over this. I don't mind not getting paid for the day, thats ok.. I am just worried about my income.

Footnotes:

We all have VPN access to the corp network and are fully capable of working from home. I have meetings today that i intend on keeping, as long as he does not tell me to leave the meetings.

Other contractors 'replied all' to my email letting the team know that they too were working from home. A normal occurrence at work. I asked another one of them if they were told the same thing and they had not, making me feel I was the only one to get that ultimatum.

An employer doesn't need a reason to terminate an employee.
As a contractor, your position is even more tenuous.
Of course your employer can let you go, at any time and for any reason, even NO reason.

Maybe you need to think before clicking on "send", the next time; if there is a next time at this company for you.

they can just simply stop subing out their work to you.

If you are a contractor, and have a contract, that contract should state what reasons the contract can and cannot be terminated for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back