California and Germany Reciprocal Agreement on Spousal Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

peachie

I would like to know if California would enforces a spousal support order from Germany to a German citizen living in CA? My boyfriend has a child with his ex girlfriend, they were never married. The baby is a 6 months old now, and he is paying child support out of free will (no court order). He doesn't mind paying child support (that is his child and his duty). But what he minds is that paying the ex girlfriend maintenance support (which is almost half of his pay check). In Germany, there is this law that forces the father of the child to pay the mother of the child 3 years of maintenance care when she is not working. Keep in mind that the baby is healthy, and the mother doesn't want to work because she just doesn't want to. Both Mohter and child lives in Germany.

My boyfriend has been paying her child support plus maintenance care ever since the baby was born (without a court order). He wants to know if there is a way for him to not pay her the maintenance care part, he only wants to pay the child support. He plans to live in CA and he wants to know if CA would enforces him to pay the 3 years maintenance care to hi ex if she decided to take him to court once he stop paying her that part of the support. He will still pay child support and child support only. What shoudl he do???

I would like to know if California would enforces a spousal support order from Germany to a German citizen living in CA? My boyfriend has a child with his ex girlfriend, they were never married. The baby is 6 months old now, and he is paying child support out of free will (no court order). He doesn't mind paying child support (that is his child and his duty). But what he minds is that paying the ex girlfriend maintenance support (which is almost half of his pay check). In Germany, there is this law that forces the father of the child to pay the mother of the child 3 years of maintenance care when she is not working. Keep in mind that the baby is healthy, and the mother doesn't want to work because she just doesn't want to. Both Mohter and child lives in Germany.

My boyfriend has been paying her child support plus "maintenance care to her" ever since the baby was born (without a court order). He wants to know if there is a way for him to not pay her the maintenance care part, he only wants to pay the child support. He plans to live in CA and he wants to know if CA would enforces him to pay the 3 years maintenance care to his ex if she decided to take him to court once he stop paying her that part of the support. He will still pay child support and child support only. What shoudl he do???

I live in California and I am somewhat familiar with our "weird" laws.
I know had this happened in California he would not be paying her maintenance support. Are they both german citizens? Or is she?
Since he isn't under court order to pay child or her maintenance support and California does NOT have common law marriage, I would stop paying everything except child support. Since it wasn't court ordered there is no court judgement to be inforced. Should she take him to family court his arguement is simple. We do not enforce civil laws of another country and they were never married. Plus, the courts here would never award 50% of someones income as support to another. Talk to an attorney that specializes in family law.

Yes, they are both German citizens. She lives there in germany w/ the child and he lives in CA on a work visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back