CA - To what extent should/could an attorney go to??

Status
Not open for further replies.

2dream

BOTTOM LINE: What extent should/can an attorney go to in order to get, look for, find his assets. I told her about a
1)Thrift Savings Plan he had. Per his Atty. it was cashed during the time of the marriage. which I am not aware of at all. I would have had to sign a form-I didnt!
2) He was involved in a PI case due to a car ax. She knows the PI attorney & hasnt checked on the status. I recently looked the case up on courtconnect & confirmed that the case was dismissed. That however doesnt mean that they didnt settle out of court.
3) He has property which is leased for its mineral rights. She is not doing anything about that either.

BOTTOM LINE I'm BROKE! yet she is not working on my behalf to get herself paid!!! I cant afford her but desperatly NEED HER!! Pls read history/details below!!

I filed for divorce after he was arrested a 2nd time for domestic violence. He was paying support;child (2 kids) & spousal until he retired from the military 7 mpnths later. The same month I filed an OSC for him to pay my legal fees. I last worked in 2009 and together he and I decided that I will file for Social Security Disability, understanding that it could take upto 5 yrs to be approved. When he stopped paying support I had no other choice but to file for cash aid/food stamps to take care of the minimum BASIC needs for my children and I. He also has a civilian job retirement.

I have hired the same attorney on limited scope basis. Basically to represent me when we go to court. Never paying less than $800. thus far I have paid her approx. $3500. He has paid his attorney $1600 (according to documentation from his attorney-Im not sure I believe it). I am about to pay her another $1200 for her to do documentation (despite that I have ALREADY written all the info up_initially I was going PRO PER & then freaked out and became COMPLETELY Overwhelmed by emotions!! Her assistant would need to type it up in the legal format) & show up to Settlement Conference. We had a court date on 1/13. He and his attorney showed up. She filed limited scope settlement docs & it was NOT limited. I was PRO PER. We discussed ALL of the issues that need to be settled.

Again, as stated above...I just dont think she is working hard enough to find his assets! I couldnt afford to take myself & my 2 kids out for my b-day to mcDondalds dollar menu last wk, yet 4 days before he takes all the kids (his, mine & our) and their g/friend b/friend to an EXPENSIVE seafood restaurant wich was minimum $600 3 days prior to that they went to dinner for approx. $200. if not more!! and I am on AID! Last week he bought a new...used lexus... he has money! FRUSTRATING

WHAT EXTEND SHOULD THE ATTORNEY GO TO IN ORDER TO HERSELF PAID. B/C I JUST CAN NOT AFFORD IT ON $600 A MONTH!! Pls advise.....

I suggest you speak to several good divorce lawyers in your area.

Ask friends, family, and acquaintances for references.

The initial consultation is free.

I hope you know that if you were married to him for about 10 years (or more), you're generally entitled to 50% of his military pension!!!

A good attorney will know that.

You're also entitled to lifetime TriCare coverage, a military dependent card (with commissary & PX privileges).

That's just for starters.

After you select your new attorney, let him or her direct this.

You're out of league, and know enough to destroy your case!

Relax, these things take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back