CA-separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

maria8050

My husband kicked me out of our home a couple of months after being married. We did NOT file any legal separation documents and we are still living apart. We are now working to reconcile our marriage and I am about to purchase a home. He will not be on the loan papers nor on the title, and he is not putting down any cash. He will not be moving into the newly purchased home, at least not immediately. I am confident that we will work out, however the lender is requiring my husband sign a quit claim. Is my husband still liable for my debts and is he still entitled to my assets during this (?non? legal) separation? Thanks for any help!

If you are still married, he could be entitled to half of what you own if you decide to divorce. He will not be responsible for any of your debts unless his name is on that debt. Like for instance, if you have a credit card in your name only and charge it up and then leave and not pay the bill, he would not be responsible for that bill because his name is not on it. If his name is on it as well as yours and you leave then he is responsible to pay that bill even if he didn't do any of the charging. You may need to have some sort of legal papers drawn up that say he would not get the house in the event of a divorce. Of course he would have to agree to sign them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back