Bullying boss--"good cause" for quitting job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraAlice

I have worked for my employer for more than a year. In the last couple of months our relationship has become very tense. He frequently over-reacts when I disagree with him, and more than a few times, he has ended up all-out yelling at me over ordinary day-to-day disagreements about how to approach projects.

Most recently, he was very hostile/threatening about me having scheduled a doctor's appointment. He kept insistently asking me via email and then in person what was "going on" and even went so far as to tell me I didn't "look sick." (I felt my health was a private matter and that I didn't need to share the particulars of my appointment with him. I was also only gone 20 minutes longer than my scheduled lunch break.) I feel incredibly stressed and upset while at work, and it has reached the point where I intend to quit, despite the fact that this is a terrible time to find oneself unemployed.

I am told that in NY you can collect unemployment if you quit for "good cause." Would my boss's bullying be considered "good cause?" I know this isn't really harassment, but I feel harassed. If so, what do I need to do to prove this? I really don't want to leave a steady paycheck, but I feel it is unhealthy for me to remain in a hostile work environment. Thanks for any relevant advice.

Bullying boss--"good cause" for quitting

I have worked for my employer for more than a year. In the last couple of months our relationship has become very tense. He frequently over-reacts when I disagree with him, and more than a few times, he has ended up all-out yelling at me over ordinary day-to-day disagreements about how to approach projects.

Most recently, he was very hostile/threatening about me having scheduled a doctor's appointment. He kept insistently asking me via email and then in person what was "going on" and even went so far as to tell me I didn't "look sick." (I felt my health was a private matter and that I didn't need to share the particulars of my appointment with him. I was also only gone 20 minutes longer than my scheduled lunch break.) I feel incredibly stressed and upset while at work, and it has reached the point where I intend to quit, despite the fact that this is a terrible time to find oneself unemployed.

I am told that in NY you can collect unemployment if you quit for "good cause." Would my boss's bullying be considered "good cause?" I know this isn't really harassment, but I feel harassed. If so, what do I need to do to prove this? I really don't want to leave a steady paycheck, but I feel it is unhealthy for me to remain in a hostile work environment. Thanks for any relevant advice.

Note: I also posted this in the Harassment forum, as I was not sure where it belonged.

Sorry, but no. The standard to quit and still receive benefits in any state is INCREDIBLY high and what you have described is unlikely to meet it.

BTW, what you describe is not legally a hostile work environment, either. That phrase has a very specific meaning under the law. Unless you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination/harassment under Title VII and related laws (race, religion, national origin, etc.) you are not, legally, in an HWE.

I cannot imagine that my boss is enjoying this situation either. Surely he is hoping I will quit? If he were to ask me to resign, would I then be eligible for unemployment benefits?

Re:

you should talk about the incidents happening with her in detail.If something looks serious then explain her about the racism for what you are suspecting, and tell her to avoid getting in such things.
But even after this the condition doesn't comes under control you should contact you should contact an Anti-Bullying Organisation or such organisation which helps in the racism issue.
They will deifinitely helpful for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back