Break up and we have a child

Thank you all for your help. I do have another question.

Can you re-open a closed eviction notice case? It is over 6 months old.

If YOU filed an eviction action against someone in the past that is now closed, no, it can't be reopened. However, you can simply file a new eviction proceeding.

You can file for an eviction if he refused to leave. He in not entitled to any money from you for what he spent on joint expenses while he lived there. He can request whatever he wants but you are under zero legal obligation to pay him anything. He on the other hand, will be required to pay support. Period. I strongly suggest requesting support and getting a visitation schedule in writing and through the courts. Until then, you owe him nothing as far as visitation. If this guy is drinking heavily and especially if you never married, he is not going to get full custody. Unless you left a lot out that would prove you unfit, that just won't happen. If he can't afford to move out, he isn't going to hire a lawyer either. I suggest contacting legal aid and or a local law school clinic as they provide free and low cost legal assistance. Your child's well being is worth the cost.

Last edited:
When you asked him to leave was it in writing? Did you follow your states guidelines for tenant removal? If your answer is no you need to start from scratch by asking him in writing to leave

He is leaving on his own free will now. My concern is he hasn't told me where he is moving to. He told me about two weeks ago that he had to take out a loan for $10 grand (which is a lie-don't know how he can with no collateral) he also told me he is moving in with friends and he will have the whole upstairs (duplex like house) that he can't afford and now he tells me this morning that he will only have two rooms to call his own with our daughter (a bedroom for him and a bedroom for her). He has also told me that if I take him to court for child support that he will go into debt fighting for full custody. I don't feel I am an unfit mother. Friends have told me I am a good mom. I go to work everyday and come home after work. I rarely go out.

He is leaving on his own free will now. My concern is he hasn't told me where he is moving to. He told me about two weeks ago that he had to take out a loan for $10 grand (which is a lie-don't know how he can with no collateral) he also told me he is moving in with friends and he will have the whole upstairs (duplex like house) that he can't afford and now he tells me this morning that he will only have two rooms to call his own with our daughter (a bedroom for him and a bedroom for her). He has also told me that if I take him to court for child support that he will go into debt fighting for full custody. I don't feel I am an unfit mother. Friends have told me I am a good mom. I go to work everyday and come home after work. I rarely go out.

No one can decide for you.
You must make your own decisions.
Personally, why listen to him?
It's obvious he lies, and you don't believe his lies.
Stop wondering what a deadbeat will do.
Do whatever it is that you think best serves you and your child.
That's what adults do.
You aren't stupid.
You are as smart as anyone is, so start behaving as a the competent, confident person you already are.
Stop asking the devil questions.
Start making your own decisions.
File for child support and seek custody.
We've told you how.
As long as you show timidity and weakness, the evil ones on this planet will seek to exploit you.
When you show strength, they move on to weaker beings.
Protect yourself and your child.
Good luck.

No one can decide for you.
You must make your own decisions.
Personally, why listen to him?
It's obvious he lies, and you don't believe his lies.
Stop wondering what a deadbeat will do.
Do whatever it is that you think best serves you and your child.
That's what adults do.
You aren't stupid.
You are as smart as anyone is, so start behaving as a the competent, confident person you already are.
Stop asking the devil questions.
Start making your own decisions.
File for child support and seek custody.
We've told you how.
As long as you show timidity and weakness, the evil ones on this planet will seek to exploit you.
When you show strength, they move on to weaker beings.
Protect yourself and your child.
Good luck.

Thank you!

This loser is messing with you. Ignore his "threats". Loser boy is not going to get full custody. You absolutely should file for child support. Family law judges are smart folks. They see this crap everyday. They can tell a loving mother who cares for her child from a vindictive chromosome provider. They do not have a lot of patience for these kinds of games. He is welcome to file for anything he likes (my bet is he will not follow through) but is in for a rude awakening when he gets to court.

Back