Breach of oral contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

duped

I was hired as a phone/triage nurse in a family practice clinic that does not have a human resource dept. I asked for papers to sign for my employment and was told by the office manager that there are no such papers. I was told that after 90 days there would be a review meeting and that employment for long term would be discussed at that time. I was hired to reorganize the triage/phone nurse position, which I did. I asked the physicians that own the business about my performance and was told on more than one occasion that they were happy with how I was doing. Close to my 90 day review, about 2 weeks before, I was told by the physicians that I would have continued employment. A week or so before my 90 day review an ad went in the paper advertising for a medical receptionist/phone nurse, I asked the physicians if my job was in danger and both said no, that I was doing great and not to worry, that my job was secure. 3 days before my 90 day review I was let go. Is this a breach of verbal contract? Thanks

Not based on what you've said. But you can certainly talk to an Iowa attorney and see what they think.

Greetings, "duped":

I see a ray of brightness in this for you, if you choose to pursue it.
You were hired and performing well (according to your post) as a telephonic triage nurse.
The new position your employer is seeking appears to be for a Receptionist/Phone nurse.

Could it be your employers believe you are too qualified and experienced to perform those lowly receptionist duties?
As a triage nurse, they might believe you are too qualified to be a telephone nurse, too.
You might arrange a meeting between yourself and the managing physicians to discuss the matter.
Once they understand your abilities, willingness to be a team player, positive attitude, patient centric attitude, and professional bearing; things might change for the you and the practice.

Oh, I almost forgot, until reading dis' answer.
You might even let them know you're willing to take a pay cut, if you are, should they ask.

Good luck.

Last edited:
It appears you did a wonderful job coordinating their procedures. Now they only need someone at half the pay to perform the function. Nothing wrong here.

It appears you did a wonderful job coordinating their procedures. Now they only need someone at half the pay to perform the function.

That thought came to my mind also, disagreeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back