Boss telling me to lose weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggyf

My boss today received a package of candy for helping a political candidate get signatures to be on the ballot. When I took the package into his office to see what he wanted me to take it to the front office to share, he said yes, but didn't want me to have any of it. He made this statement a couple times. Then told me that I shouldn't eat any of it, because I needed to lose 10 pounds. I told him I was "fat and happy" the way I am. And he said he wanted me to be skinnier and lose 10 pounds. The phone rang and the conversation was over.

About a month before I told him I was going to lunch. He told me I shouldn't take a lunch. I told him it was law, which apparently in WI it is not. He told me if I skipped lunch I would save money and lose some weight.

I live in a very small town (10,000 pop) in WI and he is a prominent business owner in the town. He knows everyone and knows pretty much all the business owners here. What are my options? I am kinda afraid to go to HR cause I really need my job but I also want it to be recorded so if anything ever happens its covered.

Does anyone have ideas?

Is this harrasment? What are my options? What is your opinion? Right now I am just trying to gain any insight on how I should handle this.

First Step

First step is to always contact your HR. Backlash is always a real possibility. You have not been discriminated against as you have not been demoted, or fired due to your weight. But check EEOC website so you can get some factual answers to your questions. If you want to continue working there ignore the comments, do not respond in any manner, and take your lunch anyway without comment. Speak only about business matters; nothing personal. Dress business casual or business attire even if others dress sloppy and casual. 10lbs is weird to be commenting about if that is all you need to lose. Something else may be going on, so keep everything professional, document and date all your work products, and keep a file of all work you do. Good luck and let the forum know what happens and what you decide to do.

But...he owns everything

I live in a very small town (10,000 pop) in WI and he is a prominent business owner in the town. He knows everyone and knows pretty much all the business owners here. What are my options? I am kinda afraid to go to HR cause I really need my job but I also want it to be recorded so if anything ever happens its covered.

I am afraid if I go to HR it will get back to him, and it will make my job more difficult. This is a family owned business, HR mngr is not a member of the family, but I am not sure how it would be handled. My boss is the owner of the company.

The bottom line is that weight is not a protected characteristic in WI (or any state except MI - DC protects "personal appearance which can include but is not limited to weight). He was rude but he did not violate any laws.

As you have discovered, Federal law does not address the issue of lunch breaks; WI recommends but does not require them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back