Borrowed Car from hell

debco70

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My daughter borrowed a car from a friend. The car was in bad shape and broke down with my daughter. Since then the person who let her borrow it is blowing up her phone saying she's going to have her arrested unless she pays her $4000 for repairs. My daughter was so scared she scraped up $400 and gave it to her before telling me about it. I think that more than covers the towing fee which I believe we should pay since my daughter was driving. The lady who did the lending told me that day the car was in really bad shape and it would have happened to anyone. And that everything was ok. Does she have any grounds to have my daughter arrested?

My daughter borrowed a car from a friend. The car was in bad shape and broke down with my daughter. Since then the person who let her borrow it is blowing up her phone saying she's going to have her arrested unless she pays her $4000 for repairs. My daughter was so scared she scraped up $400 and gave it to her before telling me about it. I think that more than covers the towing fee which I believe we should pay since my daughter was driving. The lady who did the lending told me that day the car was in really bad shape and it would have happened to anyone. And that everything was ok. Does she have any grounds to have my daughter arrested?

No, the car owner appears to be angry.

Your daughter should ignore the angry beast.

How is this defamation?

She's blowing smoke up your asses really. Just ignore her. It's too bad your daughter paid that $400 before talking to you.

My daughter borrowed a car from a friend. The car was in bad shape and broke down with my daughter. Since then the person who let her borrow it is blowing up her phone saying she's going to have her arrested unless she pays her $4000 for repairs. My daughter was so scared she scraped up $400 and gave it to her before telling me about it. I think that more than covers the towing fee which I believe we should pay since my daughter was driving.

For starters, is your daughter a minor or an adult? Please also explain why you believe the fact that your daughter was driving the car when it broke down should obligate her (much less you) to pay a towing fee.

The lady who did the lending told me that day the car was in really bad shape and it would have happened to anyone.

"Lady who did the lending"? You mean the owner of the car?

Does she have any grounds to have my daughter arrested?

Arrested for what? Your post does not describe any criminal activity.

My daughter is a young adult. She is 20. And you guys have all made some valid points. I'm not sure why I felt obligated to pay the towing fee. I just felt it would be the right thing to do. And I used the word arrested because that's what the lady who let my daughter borrow her car keeps saying. My daughter did not commit a crime. She asked to borrow the car. She called the owner of the car when it broke down. She stayed with the car until a tow truck arrived. I guess I am very naiive when it comes to crooked people and the law for that matter. I've never been involved in any legal issues before. You guys have made me feel better.

For starters, is your daughter a minor or an adult? Please also explain why you believe the fact that your daughter was driving the car when it broke down should obligate her (much less you) to pay a towing fee.

"Lady who did the lending"? You mean the owner of the car?

Arrested for what? Your post does not describe any criminal activity.

My daughter is a young adult. She is 20. And you guys have all made some valid points. I'm not sure why I felt obligated to pay the towing fee. I just felt it would be the right thing to do. And I used the word arrested because that's what the lady who let my daughter borrow her car keeps saying. My daughter did not commit a crime. She asked to borrow the car. She called the owner of the car when it broke down. She stayed with the car until a tow truck arrived. I guess I am very naiive when it comes to crooked people and the law for that matter. I've never been involved in any legal issues before. You guys have made me feel better.

Oh also she is claiming that my daughter stole the car. But I personally talked to owner on the day it happened and she told me that my daughter borrowed the car and that the break down could have happened to anyone.

Oh also she is claiming that my daughter stole the car. But I personally talked to owner on the day it happened and she told me that my daughter borrowed the car and that the break down could have happened to anyone.

If you don't ask, you won't have to listen.

Your daughter has nothing to fear as long as things are as you suggest.

No reason for arrest. Hopefully your daughter will remember this incident for the rest of her life and NOT borrow someone else's expensive property. Things can and do, go wrong very quickly.

Back