Blended family estate question in State of Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

seatexan

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Hello,

My father remarried about 15 years ago. He is 83, his wife is 62. He has 3 children, all living, all adult. His wife has 2 children, all living, all adult. His wife offered us the opportunity to look at the wills a few weeks ago. While doing so, my siblings and I noticed that it was slanted heavily towards her children. The estate was to be split 50/50 at the time of eithers death. Since the children are 3 and 2, there would be a natural inequity. 50% divided by 3 versus 50% divided by 2. They would receive a minimum of 50% more than us.

Additionaly, 50% of my father's portion (50% of 50% of the total estate)would be in a trust where the monthly income would go towards supporting his wife. So while the interest income of a portion of our inheritance would support her, the interest income of her portion would likely not be touched and would compound until she dies.

Given an example estate of $6mil, if they died on the same day, we would each receive $1mil; each of her children would receive $1.5mil. If she lived for 20 years using our inheritance to live off of, that margin would increase towards 400-600%.

Upon pointing these issues out, he was receptive and scheduled a meeting with his attorney and CPA. The result was that he stated there was no legal way for them to assure that each child receive equal amounts, because their estate is community property, each getting half upon the death of the other, and no way to leave a portion of the trust to the step-children.

This sounds ridiculous. Am I missing something relating to community property? I would assume that each could elect to leave 20% of their respective shares of the estate to each child and be done with it. Please help. This is threatening to tear this family apart. Both she and Dad came into this marriage with nothing. All we want is for each child to receivie equal amounts--even if that is nothing.

Thank you in advance. I can provide additional info if necessary.

Why do you think he cannot do with his money what he wishes?

I don't think that at all. I initially recommended that he put it all in a charitable trust, but he insisted that he wanted it to be split evenly among the 5 children. I posted this to gain some insight on the law so I can respond to my father's questions, not to gather observations on my character. If you can't be more professional, please don't reply.

I don't think that at all. I initially recommended that he put it all in a charitable trust, but he insisted that he wanted it to be split evenly among the 5 children. I posted this to gain some insight on the law so I can respond to my father's questions, not to gather observations on my character. If you can't be more professional, please don't reply.

I didn't make any observations of any kind.

I asked you a question.

That, in fact, is my job.

What are your father's questions?

Thank you, dee_dub, actual dialogue. When we raised our questions he wondered why upon entering a QTIP arrangement, he and his wife were not free to leave equal amounts to each of the 5 children. I've since done some research on QTIPs and there does seem to be some limitations, not so much in a legal sense, but in a tax aversion sense. In other words, he could leave equal amounts to all the kids, but his non-blood children would not be protected from estate taxes. Is that an accurate assessment?

Thanks for your help. I've asked him to speak with another attorney to get a balance of opinion.

I didn't make any observations of any kind.

I asked you a question.

That, in fact, is my job.

Nonsense. Don't try to shellac your short-sighted, dismissive statement. Of course any fool knows firsthand that he has the right to do what he wants with his estate. I did not present that as the basis of my query. I believe I laid out the conflicts that I wished to have addressed in a clear manner. If that was the first thing out of my attorney's mouth, I would dismiss him immediately.

I don't know anything about QTIPs. I would speculate that, if he and his wife wanted to make sure every kid got the same net benefit, they could factor the estate taxes into the calculation of each share.

I would echo the sentiments of seniorjudge, however, and add that distributing the proceeds 50/50 between the children of the spouses is not, IMHO, "naturally inequitable". Each spouse came into the marriage with nothing; all the property is marital property. From your step-siblings' perspective, if each beneficiary winds up with 20%, their mom's side will only get 40% total. Where's the equity there?

I don't know anything about QTIPs. I would speculate that, if he and his wife wanted to make sure every kid got the same net benefit, they could factor the estate taxes into the calculation of each share.

I would echo the sentiments of seniorjudge, however, and add that distributing the proceeds 50/50 between the children of the spouses is not, IMHO, "naturally inequitable". Each spouse came into the marriage with nothing; all the property is marital property. From your step-siblings' perspective, if each beneficiary winds up with 20%, their mom's side will only get 40% total. Where's the equity there?

That is an accurate representation if that's how they want to split the estate. However, what they keep stating is that they intended for each of the five children to receive equal amounts. My stepmother at one point asked me why her children shouldn't split her half of the estate. My reply was of course she has every right to do so, but that would result in each of them receiving more. Not sure that she made the distinction. If that's what they want to do, then it's settled; however they continue to voice otherwise. Anyway, thanks for your help and dignified, professional replies.

This is an extremely complicated area of the law with few black and white answers.

You MUST get a tax CPA and an estate attorney involved.

There will be lots of uncomfortable questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back