Best website for Child custody laws in FL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

singlemotherof2

Im having to represent myself in court for child custody in FL. Could someone please suggest a few websites or resources where I may obtain legal information pertaining to FL child custody laws? Thank you

My ex and I were not married. We lived together for 3yrs out of our 6yr relationship in FL. Most of the paperwork or forms that I have found only pertain to married couples.
Im defending myself against an attorney. What should I know? Whats the best way to defend myself in court or and how may I buy some time if need be?

singlemotherof2 said:
My ex and I were not married. We lived together for 3yrs out of our 6yr relationship in FL. Most of the paperwork or forms that I have found only pertain to married couples.
Im defending myself against an attorney. What should I know? Whats the best way to defend myself in court or and how may I buy some time if need be?

Did the male LEGALLY establish paternity?

How (if applicable)?

Was custody awarded to one of you by a court?

Who has physical custody (either by a court order or mere possession)?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Male has not established paternity in court

Custody has not been awarded via court. Mom is legal guardian per father did not sign birth cert.

Want to obtain primary custody giving father supervised visitation. Father to pay child support.

Question-judge ordered temp visitation for dad. also ordered dad to pay child care but dad not paying. Also mom has cedall cops to get son back 3 times per dad refuses to return child after visitation so mom not allowing son to go with dad until case is finaled. Will this be held against me in court?

Possibly.

I understand where you're coming from - but you really should stick with even the temp visitation order. Just keep documenting the events, you know?

It can eventually be held against HIM.

singlemotherof2 said:
Male has not established paternity in court

Custody has not been awarded via court. Mom is legal guardian per father did not sign birth cert.

Want to obtain primary custody giving father supervised visitation. Father to pay child support.

From what you've said in the past, the male is a poor influence on the children

You might not want his money, if it means you get him back in your life.

I wish you and your children much success.

Proserpina-I was told by the police that since he hasn't established his parental rights that I should not allow visitation b/c of the issues I'm running into w/the child's father. The police officer stated that it shows bad judgment on my behalf by allowing him to continue to pick up the child and having to call the police to have him returned.

Proserpina-I was told by the police that since he hasn't established his parental rights that I should not allow visitation b/c of the issues I'm running into w/the child's father. The police officer stated that it shows bad judgment on my behalf by allowing him to continue to pick up the child and having to call the police to have him returned.

That is wise counsel offered by that police officer.
I'd be sure to document what was said, by whom, and when!

Regardless of whether rights have been permanently established, you do have a court order. Hon, it's not a suggestion - it's an order, albeit temporary.

Going against that order can bite you in the derriere, seriously.

Don't give him any ammunition against you! What the court is going to look at is that despite his actions, you are respecting the court, respecting the law and you're following the court's direction - that goes FOR you. It's a good thing for you.

It does NOT show bad judgment on your part that you're allowing visitation as per the order. It shows VERY bad judgment on HIS part when he pulls that sort of nonsense! :)

Regardless of whether rights have been permanently established, you do have a court order. Hon, it's not a suggestion - it's an order, albeit temporary.

Going against that order can bite you in the derriere, seriously.

Don't give him any ammunition against you! What the court is going to look at is that despite his actions, you are respecting the court, respecting the law and you're following the court's direction - that goes FOR you. It's a good thing for you.

It does NOT show bad judgment on your part that you're allowing visitation as per the order. It shows VERY bad judgment on HIS part when he pulls that sort of nonsense! :)

OP, Proserpina has also offered you some sound, wise, and practical advice.
Her advice is additionally buttressed by the admonition to never, ever violate a court order.
You must proceed cautiously and adhere to ALL court orders.
If and WHEN, this male cad violates the court order again, (and we KNOW he will) you should document it.
If the police say you are showing unsound judgment, you should politely tell them that you are only obeying a lawful order of the court.

Does it matter if this is an order issued by a judge regarding our case management and not as a final order? Is there a difference?

My Ex has violated his order and I filed for contempt about 2 months ago, they have yet to set a court date.

I want to abide by the order and of course respect the law and the court however; my ex has given me plenty of reasons not to trust him.
Im afraid that he will leave with the child bc of what he has done in the past and of course the police will not get involved bc it's a civil matter that has to be taken to court so what can I do to protect my son and myself without getting in trouble with the judge?

**I did politely respond to the police officer as you stated in your comment

Don't be tricked into doing improper things because others do them.

It serves you and your child best, if you always do the right thing.

Your child is watching everything you both do.

They understand more than you imagine.

He'll get his one day.

Those negative things begin to accumulate.

Do not provide others with ammunition to shoot you.

No, it doesn't matter who issued the order.

The order was issued on behalf and at the behest of the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back