Being Sure for Libel

Beth8

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I am being sued by the former treasurer of our POA. He is also suing 5 others. We are all named as defendants. Back story is we have proof of wrong doings he perpetrated. I am not worried about that aspect. He says we harmed him and defamed him, and his reputation has suffered. That's neither here nor there because nothing we said was untrue. So, I will go to court.

My question is this:

We are all named as defendants. We all received the same stack of 43 pages. Several of those pages were our Bylaws and Covenants. Anyway, as I am reading, I get to the end of the lawsuit. In the conclusion section, he starts to list everyone....doesn't mention me. In the section where he asks for restitution and what dollar amount he is suing for, he lists each person individually, but he doesn't list me.

His two complaints against me are that I started a POA Facebook group with malice to "get him". There IS a POA group, but that was never the intent of the group. He also said I called him the mafia. That is not how it happened.

Anyway,

How do I answer this suit (I am denying), and does it mean anything that I am not listed in the conclusion or the prayers section?

Tried to edit my title, but apparently, I cannot do so. I am being sued not "sured".

How do I answer this suit (I am denying), and does it mean anything that I am not listed in the conclusion or the prayers section?

Once you have retained the services of an attorney, you should direct all of your questions to your attorney.

No one here has read the papers you were served, and you would be unwise to post those documents on the internet.

Without reading the papers you were served, researching the allegations, anything told to you would not be able to fully answer your query(ies).

Take a deep breath, don't discuss any aspect of the lawsuit with your co-defendants, or anyone else, until you have been instructed to do so by YOUR attorney.

While you wait, MUM is the word.

How do I answer this suit

By filing an appropriate responsive pleading. If you don't know how to determine what responsive pleading would be appropriate to file or if you don't know how to prepare one, then you'd best retain the services of a local attorney. If you're thinking we might know which type of responsive pleading would be most appropriate, it is impossible to do that without reading the complaint.

does it mean anything that I am not listed in the conclusion or the prayers section?

No one who hasn't read the entire complaint can give you an intelligent answer to this question.

I suggest you discuss with your neighbors who are also being sued whether you want to pool your resources and hire the same attorney. If/when you meet with an attorney, you should bring your homeowners' policies so that the attorney can review them to determine if your policies provide coverage for this suit (my guess is they won't, but it's impossible to know without reading the complaint and the policies).

Back