Being sued in small claims for ambulance ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyondbabylon

I am being sued in small claims for the total amount of $1,513.13 (and they got the amount wrong according to previous notices) for an ambulance ride. I am unemployed and have no source of income. I offered to make payments but the fire dept does not accept them, I must pay half of the amount and then they will decide whether I am "eligible" for payments or not.
My court date is January 22nd. I have no idea what to do.
I am not eligible for MIA because it does not cover rides, and the agency I owe money to does not have any sort of charity program for individuals like me.
My question is what options do I have, or do i have any?
I'm currently living in Oregon. Not even in the same state! They served my dad, does that mean they served me?

Last edited:
You can't pay what you don't have. In court a judge may allow for a lien to be placed against any property that you own. If you have no assets then the agency trying to collect is pretty much SOL. If you have assets but are trying to protect them, you may lose them.

I am being sued in small claims for the total amount of $1,513.13 (and they got the amount wrong according to previous notices) for an ambulance ride. I am unemployed and have no source of income. I offered to make payments but the fire dept does not accept them, I must pay half of the amount and then they will decide whether I am "eligible" for payments or not.
My court date is January 22nd. I have no idea what to do.
I am not eligible for MIA because it does not cover rides, and the agency I owe money to does not have any sort of charity program for individuals like me.
My question is what options do I have, or do i have any?
I'm currently living in Oregon. Not even in the same state! They served my dad, does that mean they served me?
You may have an argument for improper service ... unless the residence where your dad lives is also YOUR listed residence.

CCP 415.20. (a) In lieu of personal delivery of a copy of the summons
and complaint to the person to be served as specified in Section
416.10, 416.20, 416.30, 416.40, or 416.50, a summons may be served by
leaving a copy of the summons and complaint during usual office
hours in his or her office or, if no physical address is known, at
his or her usual mailing address, other than a United States Postal
Service post office box, with the person who is apparently in charge
thereof, and by thereafter mailing a copy of the summons and
complaint by first-class mail, postage prepaid to the person to be
served at the place where a copy of the summons and complaint were
left. When service is effected by leaving a copy of the summons and
complaint at a mailing address, it shall be left with a person at
least 18 years of age, who shall be informed of the contents thereof.
Service of a summons in this manner is deemed complete on the 10th
day after the mailing.
(b) If a copy of the summons and complaint cannot with reasonable
diligence be personally delivered to the person to be served, as
specified in Section 416.60, 416.70, 416.80, or 416.90, a summons may
be served by leaving a copy of the summons and complaint at the
person's dwelling house, usual place of abode, usual place of
business, or usual mailing address other than a United States Postal
Service post office box, in the presence of a competent member of the
household or a person apparently in charge of his or her office,
place of business, or usual mailing address other than a United
States Postal Service post office box, at least 18 years of age, who
shall be informed of the contents thereof, and by thereafter mailing
a copy of the summons and of the complaint by first-class mail,
postage prepaid to the person to be served at the place where a copy
of the summons and complaint were left. Service of a summons in this
manner is deemed complete on the 10th day after the mailing.​
You can always TRY to ignore it, though that could cause problems. Ignoring it could result in a default judgment against you. If that happens, you would have to then try to go back to court and argue improper service (and likely have to hire an attorney in the process). You might also just ignore it under the assumption that you have no money and never will have money or assets so it won't matter.

On the other hand, you can go to court and get a judgment and hope that the count will allow you to make payments.

But, perhaps you can avoid all of this by going out and getting a cash advance on a credit card, a small loan, or pass the hat among family and friends so that you can pay this off. It's not going away and you are likely to be found liable for the bill anyway so you might consider trying to nip it now rather than waiting for it to become a collections account which will screw with your credit for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back