Being sued in oregon

kaffy

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I'm being sued in oregon over a medical debt I didn't not acquire. I never received a bill or notice in over 7 years of this debt. From what I know oregon statue of limitations is 6 years. Is this accurate.

Generally, it does appear that 6 years would be the statute of limitations. There may be reasons why it would be extended, which would depend on the exact facts in your situation which should be reviewed by an attorney for specific advice.

Did you never incur the debt, or are you saying you did incur the debt, but it was more than 6 years ago?

The debt is not mine. I also have never received a statement regarding the debt till I received a summons that I was being sued for the debt.

The debt is not mine. I also have never received a statement regarding the debt till I received a summons that I was being sued for the debt.
Your best starting point may be to contact the attorney to show that they are suing the wrong person.

It's a debt collector sueing me I contacted them immediately when I got the summons and informed them that they have the wrong person. And that I have never been notified of this otherwise I would have fought it 7 years ago. They weren't intrested in what I had to say. So I requested a hearing to fight it. And time-barred for the collection of the debt.

Of course they aren't interested in what you say. They hear it all day, every day.

You'll have the opportunity to dispute the matter in court.

Critical questions, require answers.

Date you were served the summons?
How much money are you being sued for? Dollar amount please.
Small claims court or regular court?
Did the summons require you to file a written answer?
If yes, did you?
If you did, did you raise the statute of limitations as a defense?

Date the sheriff delivered the summons was Feb 6th 2024. I had 14days to respond to accept or deny no other written statement required. I denied and requested a hearing. The amount is 2200.00 small claims.

Is the debt in the spotlight a debt incurred by a close relative, as in mother, father, grandparent, grandchild, one of your children, spouse, sibling, etc???

Was the debt in question incurred by someone who lived at your address, perhaps a boyfriend or girlfriend?

No someone using my name but totally wrong address and phone number. I do not know who was using my identity but they gave the wrong address phone number. I never received anything regarding this debt. The address they gave doesn't even exist in the city of occurrence.

No someone using my name but totally wrong address and phone number. I do not know who was using my identity but they gave the wrong address phone number. I never received anything regarding this debt. The address they gave doesn't even exist in the city of occurrence.
It's possible someone was impersonating you, but it's also possible someone else has the same name. Just sayin'

I hope by now you have searched the internet for information on how Oregon small claims court works. If not, here's what I learned.

Raise the statute of limitations before the plaintiff's turn and ask for a dismissal with prejudice. Make sure you cite the statute number.

Keep in mind that the bill might be 7 years old but the statute of limitations may have begun to run at a later date.

The instructions to plaintiff may give you information about what the plaintiff has to do.

I found the following form. Since you are being sued by a debt collector it appears that the debt collector was required to file the completed form and/or serve you with a copy. If you don't have it and it hasn't been filed, bring a copy to the court and, when the plaintiff states his case, ask the questions on the form.

This is the statute that the form refers to:

If the plaintiff cannot provide the information required on that form, ask for a judgment that you don't owe the money.

I found two statutes that apply to small claims. One or both may apply to your case. Study up.

I also found this guide:

Might not be your county but has useful information.

Break a leg. (Break a Leg: Meaning and Origin of a Common Idiom)

If you are representing yourself, take a morning or afternoon some day before your hearing to sit in the courtroom to see how the cases are handled and familiarize yourself with the courtroom. That should help you get a feel for what to do and relieve some anxiety about what the experience will be like.

I hope by now you have searched the internet for information on how Oregon small claims court works. If not, here's what I learned.

Raise the statute of limitations before the plaintiff's turn and ask for a dismissal with prejudice. Make sure you cite the statute number.

Keep in mind that the bill might be 7 years old but the statute of limitations may have begun to run at a later date.

The instructions to plaintiff may give you information about what the plaintiff has to do.

I found the following form. Since you are being sued by a debt collector it appears that the debt collector was required to file the completed form and/or serve you with a copy. If you don't have it and it hasn't been filed, bring a copy to the court and, when the plaintiff states his case, ask the questions on the form.

This is the statute that the form refers to:

If the plaintiff cannot provide the information required on that form, ask for a judgment that you don't owe the money.

I found two statutes that apply to small claims. One or both may apply to your case. Study up.

I also found this guide:

Might not be your county but has useful information.

Break a leg. (Break a Leg: Meaning and Origin of a Common Idiom)
Another highly coveted CLAPPER AWARD, outstanding!!!

The people love you, chief.

clapperaward.gif

Back